9 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

Wondered if anyone has seen this yet; I think it was on tour.

#2 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

Im going to watch this on April 21st @ Malvern Theatres

#3 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hoping to see it in Bath this week

Sebastian

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:16 AM

I've booked in anticipation of something good so don't upset me, you guys when you post your views! By the way, that ridiculous booking fee reared its ugly head again and there was no choice but to pay it as they do not have a box office but put you through to the agency willy nilly. Grrrrr...

#5 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

According to Theatre Royal Bath, the play is 16omins including interval. Only paid 8 for my ticket @ Malvern Theatres. I wonder what everyone else has paid.
        I'm in Manchester today, going to watch Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf(Royal Exchange Theatre).

#6 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

Saw it yesterday. I love Tony Sher but found the production pretty underhwelming. It has been updated to the period between the wars to no noticeable advantage and the play itself feels terribly stilted at times. A bit ho-hum all told....

Sebastian

#7 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

Mmmm....went to see this at Brighton Theatre Royal this afternoon. 20 for a ticket. I wouldn't have wanted to pay more. It is opening in the WE I think. Anthony Sher gives a great performance in a showy part, but that's about it. After 2 hours playing time you feel you still don't know anything about Kean other than being a womaniser and a drunk. Was he a good actor or just a ham? I don't know. A rather tedious play luke warmly received. The updating of the period did not serve the play well at all.  I still have great memories of Tony Sher in Torch Song Trilogy in the WE - he should find something better to show his talents which are considerable  - he is a very charismatic character actor but not suited to this part I did not feel.

#8 Belinda

Belinda

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

Saw this yesterday in Brighton and enjoyed it hugely. A typically bravura peformance from Antony Sher. Very well received by the audience. I might try to see it again, when it transfers to London  smile.gif

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

Thank you , thank you, Belinda. How can they update a historical figure to another period? I suppose I shall find out.

#10 Tootsie

Tootsie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Lots of great theatre please!!<br />

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

It all seemed quite abstract to me which I enjoyed. Were the actors playing their characters or playing themselves playing the characters (if you know what I mean) Was a great treat to see a peek of Sher's Richard III. I enjoyed it and it gave me a lot to think about. Sher was fabulous as was the young girl Jane Murphy. Sam Kelly gave his usual classy performance also.
Worth a look imho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users