8 replies to this topic

#1 Millie Dillmount

Millie Dillmount

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:22 PM

according to playbill.com sondheim's solicitor and representaitve has just returned from london and there is likely to be a west end production of little night music at a yet unnamed theatre. the director is confirmed but the solicitor declined to name them

also there is a production of gypsy with patti lu pone at city centre in the summer. this is an encores production - semi staged like chicago, and this production is rumoured for a west end transfer!!

#2 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

Playbill's Search box doesn't seem to find this for me - can someone please post the link?

#3 Felix

Felix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:16 AM

Is it just me but I think we do Sondheim shows better than the Broadway guys?  tongue.gif

#4 Millie Dillmount

Millie Dillmount

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107162.html

#5 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

Merrily is already announced for the Watermill. It opens in January I think?

Fantastic news about Night Music, I love this show. Sondheim did hint at talk last year about JD directing it. I have a hunch it will go into the Old Vic as they have talked about doing a musical and after this yearís joint successful venture with Propeller, more could be on the way Ö Perhaps in Rep with Merrily ? (My hunch is based on about as much scientific facts as your average episode of Sunset Beach!). If it does come back it will itís 4th time in London and itís only happened once on Broadway.

Yesterday on Radio 2 Piggy Paige was talking about how she would love to play Mamma Rose. She also said it would be really stressful to do 8 performances of it a week so hinted about doing at it the NT in rep. It was all very jovial so Iím not sure if she was dreaming our wetting our appetites before an official announcement.

wub.gif

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#6 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

I could see Gypsy going into the Savoy, I quite like the idea of that theatre becoming known for classy revivals, as it suits it. Maybe it could follow Fiddler?!

Im not sure about Elaine Paiges pulling power anymore, Drowsy Chaperone tickets havent exactly flown out the door just on her name alone.

#7 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

The possible London Gypsy revival is great news (it's been rumored for ages) and I think either Patti Lupone or Elaine Paige would be great as Mama Rose though i would rather see Patti as I've never seen her perform live.

Theatre wise, I think the Cambridge or Savoy Theatre  would be a good choice for the revival.

#8 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 10 2007, 03:16 AM) View Post
Is it just me but I think we do Sondheim shows better than the Broadway guys?  tongue.gif

I think I can recall Sondheim saying that his shows tend to be more successful here, and are both better staged and better received. But I could be wrong. I'm certain he's said he liked British productions of his shows.

More generally, it has long been my opinion that Americans write the best musicals by far, but once they've been written it's Britain that does the best job of putting them on stage.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#9 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Apr 10 2007, 03:46 PM) View Post
I think I can recall Sondheim saying that his shows tend to be more successful here, and are both better staged and better received. But I could be wrong. I'm certain he's said he liked British productions of his shows.

More generally, it has long been my opinion that Americans write the best musicals by far, but once they've been written it's Britain that does the best job of putting them on stage.

I'm sure SJS has said something along those lines as well

I quite agree about British directors. I think it may be because our notable Sondheim shows are produced in creative spaces like the NT or the Donmar. Which I guess is a much more inspiring world then cut throat Broadway.

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users