Who could replace Daniel Radcliffe in Equus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jake

Jake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

If the producers of Equus are going to recast instead of closing (which is a great idea - the production itself is strong enough),  who could replace Daniel Radcliffe? Presumably they're going to have to follow it up with a name, unless they replace Richard Griffiths with a name big enough to sustain sales, but if they want a high-profile young actor, who is there?

For English child actors of the same age, there's Alex Pettyfer from Stormbreaker or William Moseley from The Chronicles of Narnia, but neither are on par with Radcliffe's fame. Rupert Grint would be a major casting/marketing coup, but obviously he'd be filming Harry Potter over the summer too. Haley Joel Osment?

Edit: Nicholas Hoult? From About a Boy and Skins?

#2 richard

richard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

tongue.gif
Never mind the 'name', see the quality.

Sam Crane, recently a superb Oswald in Ibsen's 'Ghosts' at the Bristol Old Vic, is the one.

He played the part of Alan Strang brilliantly when an undergraduate at Oxford and was in a different league to Daniel Radcliffe, who didn't encompass the emotional complexities of the part at all.  I predict he will soon be the next real star in the making.

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

Isn't the guy who has recently left Eastenders (Pauline's son) being talked about for it?

#4 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:01 PM

yeah I'd heard that James Alexandrou was tkaing over too... but I think he's a bit too old isn't he?!
"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#5 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

There's also a rumour that Jesse Metcalfe (John in Desperate Housewives) was up for the part- but I read that on the internet so is probably not true!!

And Sam Crane's at the Globe so it can't be him.

#6 smith

smith

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

What about one of the current crop of History Boys. I'm sure one of them could still pull off a 17yr-old boy. So to speak.

#7 James

James

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:33 PM

I think it should be me!! Such an amazing play and such an amazing part!!!

#8 joback

joback

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

Said it the Daily Mail the other day Jamie Bell was taking over.

#9 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:15 AM

Yes Jamie Bell is taking over. I presume Richard Griffiths is leaving as well although no recasting has been announced. It will be interesting to see wether the production survives a cast change. I would have thought the success of the play at the box office is purely on Daniel Radcliffe making his stage debut after all the Harry Potter stuff. Oh and getting his kit off may have had something to do with it??!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users