29 replies to this topic

#11 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

I admire the NT for investing in their shows, but sometimes you do have too many actors although as the stage is huge ....

I wish they would the musicans differently. They are generally used to cover the set changes and thats it. boring

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#12 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:16 PM

In recent year or two I have begun wondering about some productions being swallowed by that vast open space of the Olivier. And that, yes, it sometimes seems as though they're trying too hard to populate it with extra bodies just to fill it up. Some productions I thought could easily - and better - have been in the Lyttleton or even the Cottesloe.

As to cost - 10, 12 or 15 are all good low prices in themselves but sitting through a load of old crap will make it feel expensive however little you've paid. It reminds me of the discussion that periodically pops up on this board about running times. Some here complain bitterly about paying 25-30 for a one-act 50-minuter but my view is, if it's good, it's worth it. A 3-hour piece of junk will always be expensive.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#13 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:07 PM

One problem with the 10 season is they restrict the money spent on the set - this is a big problem in the Olivier which is traditionally a very difficult space to work with. This has resulted in some truly terrible designs (eg. Cyrano). Filling the stage with extras is one solution, I assume it's a bit cheaper. Maybe switching it to the Lyttleton (which they are doing next season) is a better idea.

As a regular NT attender who can easily pay the full price I, of course, welcome the 10 option and hope it continues forever. Despite the NT publicity, the 10 seats when I have been there have been full of people who look like similar "regulars" with very few young or non-white faces in evidence. As has been noted, if the past 10 seasons have been such a great success (as claimed) then surely this new enthused audeince will be willing to pay the full price now ? Some hope.

#14 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

And another thing ..... has anyone actually used Travelex in preference to some other currency exchange company on the basis that they have sponsored NT in this way ? I wonder what they get out of it.

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

I have Jan!! I felt glad to use them and felt like I was giving something back to them in thanks for their generosity to the arts.
Sorry if that sounds a bit "romantic" but it made me smile in a very busy airport terminal!

#16 Tootsie

Tootsie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Lots of great theatre please!!<br />

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

Above "guest post" is me  - - forgot to log in!

#17 Guest_Alexandra_*

Guest_Alexandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:37 PM

Tootsie - me too. And I told them why I was using them.

#18 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

I have gone out of my way to use them. It doesn't seem much to do considering how much money they have saved me over the last few years.

#19 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

It seems ages since I saw a decent 'set' in the Olivier [ Alchemist was ok...] because they think that they can rely on the actors to fill the space but they can't. The Olivier is far too big a space for most plays these days and when they cut the spending it really shows. I think the travelex is marvellous for bringing in people if that is what it does. Do we have any data on this?

#20 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

This is off topic but the set for Man of Mode is pretty cool.  (It's not travelex though.)  And I thought Galileo was good.  (Which was.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users