• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 msh

msh

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

Not living in London, I am looking forward to seeing Drowsy Chaperone in the middle of June. I have tickets to a Saturday matinee, assuming that elaine paige would be doing all eight shows (especially so early on in the run).

However, is it true that elaine paige doesn't normally do saturday matinee shows ? I know people will say that I am paying to see the show and not the performer and that I should be grateful for that, but for me, going to a London theatre is not something I can afford to do very often - it's not like I can just pop back when she's on.

On the website there is no mention that elaine will not be on for certain performances, but apparently when my friends booked the tickets, the ticket-selling staff were not sure of her schedule.

So does anyone know if elaine is scheduled to be performing on saturday afternoons or not ? Will she be doing all of the shows or not ?

#2 pesa

pesa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

The best of luck to you MSH you may need it.

During Miss Paiges last stint in the West End playing Anna in the King & I she hardly ever performed and was off for weeks on an almost regular basis.

I do hope she's on when you go though, it's dreadful when you are looking forward to seeing someone and they are off.

#3 teaboy

teaboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

She *should* be doing all eight shows, but then again she's Elaine Paige! If you do miss her she's in until the 8th December, so there'll be plenty of time for a return visit.

My fingers are firmly crossed for you!
www.abfabfireworks.co.uk
Displays and Sales all year.

#4 Millie Dillmount

Millie Dillmount

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

well as it is seven years since 'the first lady of musical theatre' performed in the west end, i dont think she has the ability to be so picky anymore

i understand that she is being paid 15k per week for 8 shows, and that the producers have warned her if she starts missing shows other than for valid illness that they would take legal action for breach of contract

at the end of the day drowsy is such a great show and the part of the beatrice stockwell / aka the drowsy chaperone is a featured role that you will have a fab time and wont even notice la paige if she is there - the lead roles are the man in the chair and janet van der graff

#5 Colourarc

Colourarc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Millie Dillmount @ Apr 12 2007, 08:48 PM) View Post
well as it is seven years since 'the first lady of musical theatre' performed in the west end, i dont think she has the ability to be so picky anymore

i understand that she is being paid 15k per week for 8 shows, and that the producers have warned her if she starts missing shows other than for valid illness that they would take legal action for breach of contract

And where do you get that sort of info from, Millie?
If you have anything to do with the production I hope you have permission to post this information, it seems a little indiscreet to post on the subject *without* permission.

Cx
nice. nice. nice. nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice. very nice!

#6 Owen

Owen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:53 AM

After seeing this show on Broadway last month (and bored by it) no way could Ms Paige attempt to recreate her diva status of playing certian performances. All the roles in this show are supporting ones and hardly the most taxing (but boy is it irritating) show your likely to perform in.

#7 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

I saw the excerpt from The Lousy Chaperone on the Tony awards ceremony and was astonished that such amateurish and dated rubbish is being staged on Broadway, and now the West End. It says a great deal about the poor state of musical theatre nowadays.

#8 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(Tintin @ Apr 15 2007, 06:46 PM) View Post
I saw the excerpt from The Lousy Chaperone on the Tony awards ceremony and was astonished that such amateurish and dated rubbish is being staged on Broadway, and now the West End. It says a great deal about the poor state of musical theatre nowadays.

You're judging the entire show as amateurish and dated based on one filmed excerpt? Awesome!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#9 Lizzo

Lizzo

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Apr 15 2007, 07:52 PM) View Post
You're judging the entire show as amateurish and dated based on one filmed excerpt? Awesome!

The number of different agendas people have on these boards never ceases to amaze.  To get back to the question, I've seen EP in probably about 6 or 8 different productions over the past 20 years. Mostly matinees. And she has not once failed to turn up and to turn in a sparkling performance.
Go and enjoy!

#10 teaboy

teaboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:35 PM

At the risk of opening a can of worms....

Josh, how exactly should Tintin judge a show that's currently not showing in this country? Is using a medium designed to promote the show to potential customers not good enough? Did Tintin choose the wrong part of the show to be filmed?

If a company puts forward a limited presentation it can ONLY be seen as representative of their product - THEY chose the extract BECAUSE it would promote the show. Viewers are SUPPOSED to judge the show on that short piece.

I would like to point out I haven't seen the show or the TONY Award extract. I am not saying that Tintin is right in the critique of the show. But to attack someone for giving their opinion based on something put forward by the producers seems odd, and unfair.
www.abfabfireworks.co.uk
Displays and Sales all year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users