#21 Colourarc

Colourarc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(QuincyMD @ May 24 2007, 08:33 PM) View Post
....she was doing the matinee yesterday.

Any reason why she wouldn't be?

No "alternate" is listed........

QuincyMD is that your only comment on the show? I assume you saw the performance, did you enjoy it?

Cx
nice. nice. nice. nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice. very nice!

#22 kgc

kgc

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

Could someone please tell me why she just completely ignored people waiting patiently for half an hour at the stage door tonight, after walking right by it? I thought it was very rude of her.

#23 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:14 AM

How can anyone but Ms Paige possibly tell you the answer to that? But some possibilities are -

1. She didn't know you'd been waiting for half an hour and she had an appointment elsewhere

2. She feels that once she's finished the show, she is no longer 'on duty'

3. She gets bored with seeing the same people everyday and knows perfectly well that most of of the autographs will end up on eBay

4. She's a mean evil bitch who couldn't care less about her fans and doesn't deserve your admiration.

All of these are possible. Why should she stop and sign autographs? It's not in her contract. Do you spend half an hour at the end of your working day making inane conversation to random strangers?

#24 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(Colourarc @ Apr 22 2007, 09:52 AM) View Post
I really hope for your sake Carrie, that you are not using your real name.......comments like that on public boards have had people sacked in the past!

I love these message boards *but* people who post here should remember that this is for public viewing.......you are not just sitting in a pub/theatre bar and chatting to your West End mates, the sort of place where we traditionally share gossip!
I once got a reprimand for gossiping at a bus stop with some other WE peeps that I shared a journey home with, a member of the audience of the show I was on wrote a letter to the Theatre about what she had heard..............................

I've heard similar stories: someone in a show says something to a friend, who repeats it to another friend, who happens to know the show's producer, and suddenly an innocent comment ends up costing someone their job, or at the very least has them standing in front of their employers trying to come up with reasons why they shouldn't be sacked.

When I'm told something by someone in a show I treat it as confidential unless I'm told otherwise, or unless I know that it's already public knowledge. Also, as I post under my real name, I never say anything I wouldn't want to be read by someone I know.

QUOTE(armadillo @ May 25 2007, 06:14 AM) View Post
All of these are possible. Why should she stop and sign autographs? It's not in her contract. Do you spend half an hour at the end of your working day making inane conversation to random strangers?

The rule I follow at the stage door is that I don't speak to anyone leaving the theatre unless I'm sure they recognise me, just as I wouldn't if it were any other place of work.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#25 kgc

kgc

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

Possibly I was too quick to judge, having said that I saw her walk by and just presumed she'd come over.

#26 Miri

Miri

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

In EP's possible defence, wasn't it during The King & I that her mother was dying of cancer?  I recall that Elaine herself contracted cancer around the time of Sunset, I guess 1996.  And I know her mother died from cancer, with Elaine and her sister caring for her when she was very ill.  Her mother wanted her to not stop singing.  If this was during King & I, then that could account for a lot of Elaine's absences.

As for Drowsy Chaperone, it is a small part and not very demanding.  All of her previous roles have been very physically demanding, which I would think contributed to her absences.  I don't see any excuse for her to be having an abnormal amount of absences from DC (or for not doing all 8 shows).

#27 Miri

Miri

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(kgc @ May 25 2007, 09:27 AM) View Post
Possibly I was too quick to judge, having said that I saw her walk by and just presumed she'd come over.

I had a similar experience in New York when she was playing in Sweeny Todd.  My boyfriend and I waited very patiently for about forty minutes in the freezing cold.  She was very gracious to everyone waiting ahead of us, saying nice things, joking with them etc., but then completely breezed by us.  I was really annoyed at the time!  It turned out that evening her family was in town on a surprise visit to see her performance and she was going out with them after the show.  Unfortunately I was being too polite, and I guess she didn't notice that we were waiting for her as well.  And her mind was preoccupied with her meeting up with her family.  So, yep, she totally ignored me and was off in her own little world.  But it wasn't because she was being bitchy and not caring about her public.  She was, and I'm stressing this 'cause usually people only post bad anecdotes about her, very kind and took a lot of time with everyone waiting for her.  She just didn't realise, as we standing at the top of a staircase to the side to allow the rest of the cast to leave easily (the stage door was at the foot of the staircase and all her fians were lining that staircase) that we were waiting for her as well.  So I'd give her the benefit of the doubt!

#28 Felix

Felix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

Met her at the stagedoor last wk, she is REALLY nice, saw me standing there and approuched me! (after quite alot of fans)... she's really gracious and really nice, not at all the bitch and diva everyone said she was!

#29 Tugger

Tugger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

So far I have been to see 4 performances of "The Drowsy Chaperone" and after all of them I was lucky to meet Elaine Paige. She was very nice to me and she had always been in the past.

#30 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(Tugger @ Jun 13 2007, 08:51 PM) View Post
So far I have been to see 4 performances of "The Drowsy Chaperone" and after all of them I was lucky to meet Elaine Paige. She was very nice to me and she had always been in the past.
You've been to 4 already? Are you very rich or are you just stalking EP?

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users