• PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

What did everyone think of the Josephs?

Rob - bloody fantastic (stole the show)
Lee - Excellent performance
Daniel - Fabulous voice, great personality
Kieth - cracking voice but weak movement

Ben - vocally not too good, but looks like he can dance.  Looking forward to seeing him perform again.
Seamus - good voice.  Boring performance.
Lewis - Nice voice but nothing special.
Johndeep - Bland.

Chris C - His Close Every Door at the end was actually quite good.  Not entirely sure he deserved to go this week.
Chris B - Couldn't see him for his teeth (but he had a fairly nice voice - lots of potential)

Anthony - dreadful.  He barely hit any correct notes.  It was cringeworthy.  He should have been booted out.
Craig - pretty awful performance too.
I won't be called a baggage!

#2 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(M George @ Apr 14 2007, 10:26 PM) View Post
Chris B - Couldn't see him for his teeth

Classy!

He used to call me Blue Roses.

#3 Helly

Helly

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

My favourites in order:

1. Kieth - WOW. For someone so young he has an amazing voice. I'm not sure if he has the right look for Joseph.

2. Chris B - He has the look. And the voice. But O.M.G His teeth i honestly think i'm blind.

3. Lee - Great performance [But what else could be expected from a westend man]

4. Rob - I'd love to see him go far but has to work on the quality of his vocals.

5. Daniel - Great Voice. Seems like a lovely person too!

6. Seamus - Nice voice. Not particularly special but we shall see.

7. Lewis - Nice voice again and the right look for Joseph but again not that special.

8. Chris C - I loved his close every door to me. They should have kept him in he was really passionate.

9. Ben - I can't even REMEMBER him which shows you how special he is. But he can't of been too bad.

10. Johndeep - I thought he'd be one of the best. I was wrong.

11. Craig - Didn't like his voice or overall performance.

12. Anthony - He should have gone. He's not vocally up to scratch and i think he's just TOO young.

#4 robsangel

robsangel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:57 AM

I agree Antony wasn't vocally great last night but he seems to have a certain something and I would be surprised if he isn't around for quite a while.

Lee was good but I'm not sure about the choice of song

My favourite was the lovely Daniel. Good choice of song.
If anyone is interested there are some songs on his Myspace page http://www.myspace.com/officialdanielboys

#5 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

Daniel definitely. The others had great voices, but, when it comes to real West End star quality, Daniel is way above the rest. He had the best voice and personality.
I was also impressed with Lee, who was the only one who sang a real show number (why were the others given such dull, forgettable pop songs, which rely on shrieking loudly and no feeling for lyrics?).
Seamus had a terrific voice and movement, but he did look so much like Leo Sayer and less like a Joseph. Scruffy!. A good haircut and decent clothes wouldn't be a bad idea.
The dancers in the background are still a major distraction, and do nothing to enhance the performances.
The Guys & Dolls number was beautifully handled by all. What a difference it makes to have a proper show number on the programme.

Some questions:-

Denise Van Outen was referred to as a West End and Broadway star. What has she starred in on Broadway?

Will the guys be expected to kiss John Barrowman passionately, to demonstrate their acting ability(!), as with the Marias?

Seamus was referred to as the vocal coach for the Josephs, but surely that is the job of the Zoe woman?

Why does John Barrowman still have to be such a show off?

Thanks for the information on Daniel on Myspace, Robsangel. I shall have a look at that.

#6 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(Tintin @ Apr 15 2007, 08:52 AM) View Post
Denise Van Outen was referred to as a West End and Broadway star. What has she starred in on Broadway?

Will the guys be expected to kiss John Barrowman passionately, to demonstrate their acting ability(!), as with the Marias?

Seamus was referred to as the vocal coach for the Josephs, but surely that is the job of the Zoe woman

Denise Van Outen has been in 'Chicago' in Broadway.

Re Kissing John Barrowman - Could they be butch and have a punch up instead?

Seamus wasn't referred to as vocal coach to the Josephs.  He is training to be a vocal coach in his own right but NOT for the Josephs.

#7 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Helly @ Apr 14 2007, 11:19 PM) View Post
You obviously haven't worked with some of the duffers I worked with in the West End. To paraphrase Lady B "These days that is no guarantee of quality" ! dry.gif

Sebastian

#8 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE(Helly @ Apr 14 2007, 11:19 PM) View Post

"West End man" doesn't always equate to great performance.  I've seen some shocking performances from 'West End' performers both in the West End and out on tour.  How some of the people get the lead roles is beyond me sometimes....

But in this case Lee was very good.

#9 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

Anthony - He surprised me, I didnt really remember him from the early rounds, but he showed great potential.

Ben - Weak, he was drowned out quite a few times by the band, good for cabaret or cruise ship.

Chris B - His 'Walking In Memphis' was very good and very controlled, but didnt see a sparkle of star quality. Theres something quite plastic about him, and find his look a bit .... scary to be honest! Those blinding teeth!

Chrsi C - I felt for him when DVO made comments about his body. As if he wasnt nervous enough she had to bring that up, and its not like he is the only one with that issue. However he was very weak and it was right that he went.

Craig - Clearly trying in looks to be a David Beckham, he wasnt as bad as I imagined he would be, and didnt come accross as as arrogant as I was expecting. Ok, but not great.

John Deep - Ok yes was very nice to see his family there, and its a nice story, but I hope he doesnt get the pity vote from the public. He is a good singer but based on last night he isnt west end standard.

Keith - Didnt think id like him, but he has a certain charm and charisma about him. he was better than I expected, but again got drowned out at times. Not sure he is Joseph id pay 50 to see, but there is something about him.

Lee - Bad choice of song I thought, but he performed it well. He is a handsome guy and would make a great Marius/Chris in Miss Saigon,etc but im not convinced he is a Joseph.

Lewis - or as I call him Mr Plastic. David Beckham? more like John Lee from S club. He may be blond but and a nice enough voice but there was no oomph in his performance, he is also in my view too girly looking for Joseph.

Rob - The underdog. Nice guy, but come on, is he really Joseph!?  He is way too macho and mature looking, maybe a Billy flynn in Chicago, but no way is he a Joseph. His performance was good, but again not West End standard and a bit amatuer and showy.  My worry is the public will vote for the underdog.

Seamus - I have a really issue with this guy, basically I.......HATE HIM!!! He is an arrogant know it all, who sang well but was dead in the eyes, I was so surprised they liked him as much as they did!

Daniel - ahhh I think im in love. He has so much charm and unassuming personality. But im trying to not be biased. He does have one of, if not THE best voice in the competition and he did actually try and tell a story with his song (which considerign its early days is very good), and he took control of the stage. Im torn as to whether I see him as a Joseph, in a way I hope he doesnt so he can go onto something better and use this as a spring board. But he is, and im not being biased i swear, the best in the competition and im not sure anyone can beat him! Go Go Go Daniel!

#10 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

According to John Barrowman the performance by John Deep was bland. Actually I thought it was the song that was terribly bland. I doubt if anyone could have made anything good out of it. However, I don't see him as going through to the finals, with such strong competition around. But then I never expected Helena to get through to the last two in the Marias, so anything is possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users