26 replies to this topic

#1 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

It was great when Avenue Q announced that they were dropping the price of all of their top seats to £35.

With some of the top shows now charging up to £60 do you think that we are getting value for money?

#2 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(Blue @ Feb 16 2007, 12:15 PM) View Post
With some of the top shows now charging up to £60 do you think that we are getting value for money?

Not really, musicals are getting smaller casts and bands and are still charging the earth. At least with Porgy you can see where the money is getting spent. It's such a shame that smaller shows like Mamma Mia are charging not that much less for what is a much smaller show.

I was really disappointed with the producers for having a smallish cast, large amounts of pre recorded music and tiny sets

As for plays charging tons for a small cast with no set changes or special effects ( Not that is what I generally want, I just feel Iím getting ripped off) Ė donít get me started

But I can't really criticise people for making money they just wonít get that much of mine

I want value for money

Because of this I generally see public theatre. ENO, NT, Donmar, Chocolate Factory and the Barbican is really cheap. The prices for Carmen Jones (RFH) are really good and honest. :-)

I really have to want to see something in the West End but at the NT et al I will go because I can

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#3 Guest_Bad Idea Bear_*

Guest_Bad Idea Bear_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(Blue @ Feb 16 2007, 12:15 PM) View Post
It was great when Avenue Q announced that they were dropping the price of all of their top seats to £35.

I think £60 is a lot of money but compared to prices that some popstars charge for tickets, I still think theatre is good value for money.  In addition there are so many offers available on the net that you do not need to pay full price usually unless you want to see a show on a Friday or Saturday night.  I go to the theatre almost once a week and I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a show.  I always ensure I get good seats too.  If you take a risk and see a preview or wait for a while for the show to run you can normally get good offers.  You can now get Porgy and Bess tickets for £30 on a well-known ticket website.  I recently saw Billy Elliot for £20 and The Glass Menagerie for £10 both show I had excellent seats, so my advice is to look around at all your options before booking.

#4 cupcake

cupcake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(Bad Idea Bear @ Feb 16 2007, 12:43 PM) View Post
I recently saw Billy Elliot for £20 and The Glass Menagerie for £10 both show I had excellent seats, so my advice is to look around at all your options before booking.

Where oh where did you find Billy Elliot tickets for £20??  unsure.gif

#5 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

Perhaps we should have a thread where people can post information about ticket deals.

I always try and get a seat on the front row and usually book at the theatre althought I do use the TKTS booth quite reguarly as well.

#6 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Blue @ Feb 16 2007, 02:39 PM) View Post
Perhaps we should have a thread where people can post information about ticket deals.

great idea.

i often use the deals from here and check out theatre monkey

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#7 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

I'm amazed that so many people seem to think £50 is the standard price for going to the theatre. If you set yourself a budget of £25 you could still see a show every night at the Donmar or NT or Royal Court or the many fringe shows or using ticket offers for the West End. Use Theatremonkey (or talk to box office staff) to find out when a 'restricted view' seat might only lose you 5% of the action but save £20 or check out this site or Lastminute.com  or the Half Price ticket booth or Get Into London Theatre. There are very few shows that won't have offers at some point - save your top-price tickets for when you really want a special evening. Nobody needs to pay full-price for 90% of shows (and no, I'm not a student or entitled to any special deals).

#8 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

What aggravates me is that a small show such as Blood Brothers charges a similar amount of its top price seats on a Saturday night to an extravagant huge show like Phantom.  How is that justified???
I won't be called a baggage!

#9 clair

clair

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

Maybe one of the reasons shows have a tendency to be similar in price if not in cast size etc is that the cost of hiring the actual thatre is often one of the biggest costs involved?
Having said which I think it's about time theatres looked at cutting the cost of the tickets - they'd then sell more merchandise, drinks etc so still get the money back another way.
My biggest complaint is with these prices we shoukd be able to at least exchange for another performance if illness etc prevents us using tickets - at the moment if you don't know anyone who'll buy tickets from you the only option is to sell to touts/ebay etc.

#10 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(clair @ Feb 17 2007, 11:35 AM) View Post
Maybe one of the reasons shows have a tendency to be similar in price if not in cast size etc is that the cost of hiring the actual thatre is often one of the biggest costs involved?

I see your point but the running costs of Blood Brothers must be hugely less that the running costs for Phantom yet prices are very similar.  It just doesn't seem right to me.

I won't be called a baggage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users