• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Critch

Critch

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

Reports are coming the ALW is thinking about the long-rumoured sequl to Phantom:

"I am currently away writing for a couple of weeks. I can confirm what I told the studio audience whilst on the set of ‘You’re The One That I Want’ last week in the US, that I am considering writing a sequel to Phantom of the Opera based on an idea presented to me over a decade ago. I will be returning to the UK shortly and hopefully have a blog for you, but let’s just say, I am full of ideas!"

This from ALW's blog!

Whaddaya think?

#2 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(Critch @ Feb 16 2007, 12:23 PM) View Post
Reports are coming the ALW is thinking about the long-rumoured sequl to Phantom:

"I am currently away writing for a couple of weeks. I can confirm what I told the studio audience whilst on the set of ‘You’re The One That I Want’ last week in the US, that I am considering writing a sequel to Phantom of the Opera based on an idea presented to me over a decade ago. I will be returning to the UK shortly and hopefully have a blog for you, but let’s just say, I am full of ideas!"

This from ALW's blog!

Whaddaya think?

As much as I love phantom, im not keen on the idea of sequels in theatre. And he will never recapture the magic of the original production. Maybe if he did it as a film, but as a stage show - no thanks. Im guessing he is talking about the book by Frederick Forsyth (i think) The Phantom of Manhatten, which was an enjoyable book but wouldnt make for an exciting musical.

#3 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

You beat me by one minute, sorry  dry.gif

Uck. Did that nasty tory, Frederick Forsyth write a book for Lewd Rubber?

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

oh jesus.  mellow.gif

#5 Guest_it's like this_*

Guest_it's like this_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

ALW COMMISSIONED THE STORY FROM FREDERICK FORSYTH AND I BELIEVE THEY AGREED THAT IT WOULD BE SET IN MANHATTAN. BUT THEN ALW DIDN'T LIKE THE WAY IT WAS HEADING SO NEVER DEVELOPED IT AND FORSYTH PROCEEDED TO TURN IT INTO A NOVEL INDEPENDENTLY. SO IF HE DOES COME BACK TO IT, DON'T NECESSARILY EXPECT HIM TO USE FORSYTH'S SAGA.

ALW ORIGINALLY CONSIDERED APPROACHING MARY HIGGINS CLARK TO SCRIPT IT BEFORE THAT.

THE SONG 'THE HEART IS SLOW TO LEARN' WAS WRITTEN FOR IT BUT THEN TURNED INTO 'OUR KIND OF LOVE' FOR BEAUTIFUL GAME ONCE THE PHANTOM PLANS WERE SHELVED.

IF YOU ASK ME, 'HEART IS SLOW TO LEARN' HAD REAL PROMISE - KINDA PUCCINI-ISH - AND WAS WAY BETTER THAN WHAT HE SCOOPED OUT OF IT FOR 'OUR KIND OF LOVE'.

I FRANKLY LOVE THE IDEA OF HIM RESUSITATING THIS IF IT GETS HIM OFF MASTER AND MARGARTIA WHICH HE IS SO WRONG FOR.

#6 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

This must be the worse idea in the domain of the bad isdea bears

#7 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(it @ Feb 16 2007, 01:35 PM) View Post
IF YOU ASK ME, 'HEART IS SLOW TO LEARN' HAD REAL PROMISE - KINDA PUCCINI-ISH

Isn't most of his stuff 'taken' from Puccini?

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#8 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

What a totally crap idea.  The expectation for a sequal would be that it would have to be as good, if not better, than the original musical and judging by ALW's recent produce this expectation is utterly unrealistic.
I won't be called a baggage!

#9 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

Apparently the working title of the show is The Phantom of the Discotheque  laugh.gif

#10 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Blue @ Feb 16 2007, 03:32 PM) View Post
Apparently the working title of the show is The Phantom of the Discotheque  laugh.gif

Catchy.  But completely naff.

I won't be called a baggage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users