2917 replies to this topic

#1 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Yey omigod you guys!! It's finally began previews (5th December 2009) in London tonight at the Savoy Theatre!!! And for someone like myself who didn't have tickets for tonight wants to know how it went and its a general place to leave reviews and comments smile.gif Roll on 16th December when I get to see it!! smile.gif

So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#2 Guest_Jimbo_*

Guest_Jimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(Mark_21 @ Dec 5 2009, 09:35 PM) View Post
Yey omigod you guys!! It's finally began previews (5th December 2009) in London tonight at the Savoy Theatre!!! And for someone like myself who didn't have tickets for tonight wants to know how it went and its a general place to leave reviews and comments smile.gif Roll on 16th December when I get to see it!! smile.gif

Just out of the theatre. I had my doubts and worries about this show after Children in Need but I am very pleased to say they were completely unfounded. The show is fantastic. Sheridan is a perfect Elle, just brilliant. The ensemble is great and the changes to the show (including a 70% re-written 'Ireland') work well.

The audience lapped it up and there is surely no way this show can fail. Can't wait for my second visit!

#3 amyja89

amyja89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

Everyone I know who went tonight loved it. smile.gif

I can't wait 'til December 27th when I see it, will be the perfect 20th birthday present!

2010 so far: The Phantom Of The Opera - Legally Blonde - Priscilla Queen Of The Desert

#4 Guest_Guest_Jamie_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jamie_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Dec 5 2009, 10:45 PM) View Post
Just out of the theatre. I had my doubts and worries about this show after Children in Need but I am very pleased to say they were completely unfounded. The show is fantastic. Sheridan is a perfect Elle, just brilliant. The ensemble is great and the changes to the show (including a 70% re-written 'Ireland') work well.

The audience lapped it up and there is surely no way this show can fail. Can't wait for my second visit!

What was different about 'Ireland'

#5 Guest_Jimbo_*

Guest_Jimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Jamie_* @ Dec 5 2009, 11:09 PM) View Post
What was different about 'Ireland'

Most of the lyrics - it starts with Paulette describing how she's 3/4 Italian and part-Irish. The rest of the song follows similar themes to the original version but the bit about shooting guys in the knees is (understandably) removed and I'd say only a couple of verses remain in their original form. There's nothing markedly different though, so I'm surprised that they went to the trouble of re-writing so much.

There are also little re-writes in Popular and a couple of others.

I must say Alex Gaumond is great - a perfect fit for his character. Even Duncan James did well (and got a knowing laugh at one point related to his recent coming-out). Jill Halfpenny was okay, but hasn't really got the pipes for Paulette in my opinion. A charming performance acting-wise though.

I was also very pleased to see the house!

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

Sheridan took a while to get into it but was amazing, Alex was perfect, Jill was amazing but HATE the changes to Ireland, Duncan was horrific - couldn't even walk, let alone act, sing or speak, ensemble were amazing - loved Margot, Serena and Pilar.

Didn't like the changes to Positive at all either, all in all it was BRILLIANT, Outstanding cast and audience were electric.

#7 Guest_Jimbo_*

Guest_Jimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 5 2009, 11:31 PM) View Post
Sheridan took a while to get into it but was amazing, Alex was perfect, Jill was amazing but HATE the changes to Ireland, Duncan was horrific - couldn't even walk, let alone act, sing or speak, ensemble were amazing - loved Margot, Serena and Pilar.

Didn't like the changes to Positive at all either, all in all it was BRILLIANT, Outstanding cast and audience were electric.

Oooh harsh on Duncan! I have to disagree - I'm not a fan of the guy in general (at all!) but I thought he did fine. Definitely in the 'acceptable' realm, nowhere near horrific for me.

I liked the Positive lyric change a lot! Some of the other changes were a bit clunky, but that may just be because I'm used to hearing the original versions.

#8 Guest_Jimbo_*

Guest_Jimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

Oh and I wasn't impressed by Grandmaster Chad/Kyle. He seemed to be behind the beat during What You Want and just isn't hot enough to be Kyle. The goatee guy on the other hand...

#9 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:41 PM

Just posted this elsewhere but will post here too!

Ok, LOVED IT! But I love the show anyway.

As far as the CAST goes:
Sheridan was very good as Elle but I think she still has a way to go. Her acting was outstanding and her facial expressions great but her singing could be abit stronger in places.

Alex Gaumond is excellent! Probably my favourite of the principals. He suits the part so well. I think that after afew weeks of previews he will improve even more!

Duncan James was passable. Quite weak but atleast he looks the part

Caroline Keiff as Vivienne was good but couldn't hear her very clearly in LB remix. Think this is more down to the sound levels to be honest which still need ALOT of work as a whole.

Loved Aoifi as Brooke! Jill was ok as Paulette and Peter Davidson made the most of an underused role.

Chris Ellis-Stanton brought the house down when he came in as UPS guy. His line delivery was excellent! One of the best performances of the night!

Ensemble: VERY GOOD and good chemistry between everyone already, but needs tightening which im sure will happen!

SET:
SMALL!!! Especially compared to broadway. They only use the bottom windows for OMG, no upper level to the house and no firemans pole/costume change . Atleast there are stairs

Most other sets the same or similar to broadway. Elle's bedroom is smaller though.

CHANGES: (SPOILER)
Change of words in OMG to replace the lack of firemans pole (same ones they used on Children in Need)
Added line about Simon Cowell living next door.
First two verses of Ireland changed lyrics and lots of different lyrics in the other parts too. Not sure if I liked them all.
Legally Blonde now takes place in the courtroom
Stage isnt wide enough for all the people in the kickline so 4 people leave the stage earlier than on b'way

ERRORS:
Stairs broke just before serious and like 10 stagehands ran on to push them back.
Sound levels need alot of work!
Some jump rope gone wrong (although this even happened when i saw it a year into the run on b'way)

Other Notes:
MASSIVE entrance applause for Sheridan, Duncan and Jill.

THERE RIGHT THERE and Legally Blonde Remix got the best audience response.

COMPLETE STANDING OVATION!

Going again next week hopefully!
LOVED IT!

OOO and Programmes are of the Wicked/Hairspray variety. 6.50. They are quite nice. Other merchandise is hoodies, t-shirts, dog in bag, badges, bracelet, flashy cup with drink.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

Anyone who went tonight and has a program, can i be a pain and ask for a full Understudie list Please?

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users