* * * * * 1 votes

Legally Blonde - Savoy Theatre

• Please log in to reply
2917 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_GLX_*

Guest_GLX_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:33 AM

I went into this very apprehensive. Having seen the CIN production and being told it was a scaled down production to the broadway version, which I have also seen.

I'll start with Sheridan who I thought did such a great job, her acting is great and really has the comic moments down already. Here singing was very very good, was impressed, not totally amazing, but a lot better than I expected.

Duncan, I'm a bit torn about whether I liked his performance or not, I think he played it quite well, and his singing was decent, but he seemed a bit flat and lifeless, if that makes sense.

Alex was great, he has such a great voice and played Emmet really well.

Caroline was also good. A shame you couldn't really hear her belting in the Legally Blonde remix, but more on the sound later.

Aoife is a great as Brooke, coped with Whipped into Shape amazingly well and she looks so so good.  

Really pleasantly surprised about Jill Halfpenny, she was awesome as Paulette, very funny, and has a great voice, no high note at the end of Ireland.

Chris as the UPS guy was just hilarious, the audience were going mad. Very funny.

The rest of the company were awesome. So much energy and just very funny, can't wait to go back and see how they've grown into their roles. They sounds fantastic too.

Nowww, onto the changes and other technical notes :

First obvious tech hitch was the 4 or so crew members having to push Elles steps to the back of the stage instead of them moving on its own. Nothing major, didn't distract from anything and was done swiftly. Expected in a first preview.

No firemans pole in Oh my god.
Elle now lives next to Simon Cowell not Richard Simmons.

The sound needs quite a bit of work on it, a lot of the times the cast were drowned out by the orchestra. So much so that you missed bits of lyrics. It got a bit better towards the end of the show.

The rewrite of Ireland. I liked the new lyrics, but if you're still going to have it about Ireland, why re write it. The 'story' of the song hasn't really changed. But oh well.

A few other various lyric rewrites here and there.

Mad audience. So up for it and amazing reception at the end. Sheridan was very emotional.

So that's it. Will definitely be going again and advise people to see it. It's a great night out.

#12 Guest_GLX_*

Guest_GLX_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

Sorry, that's meant to say having seen the CIN performance. Woops.

#13 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:06 AM

Understudies as requested:
Elle: Amy Lennox, Emma Bateman
Emmette:  Matthew Mckenna, Sean Mulligan
Warner: Sean Mulligan, Dan Burton
Vivienne: Suzie Mcadam, Roxanne Palmer
Callahan: Andy Mace, Chris Ellis-Stanton
Paulette: Sorelle Marsh, Nadine Higgin
Brooke: Tamara Wall, Jane Mcmurtrie
Pilar: Nadine Higgin, Tamara Wall
Serena: Lucy Miller, Tamara Wall
Margot: Emma Bateman, Lucy Miller
Grandmaster Chad/Kyle/Dewey: Dan Burton

#14 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:23 AM

Matt McKenna is understudy for chad/kyle/Dewey too. It says by his bio.

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

Omigod! I was there last night and the show totally rocked!

The cast are awesome and soooooooo hot!

Seriously - you are all going to love this show. I left the theatre feeling so high!

tongue.gif

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Dec 5 2009, 11:39 PM) View Post
Oooh harsh on Duncan! I have to disagree - I'm not a fan of the guy in general (at all!) but I thought he did fine. Definitely in the 'acceptable' realm, nowhere near horrific for me.

I liked the Positive lyric change a lot! Some of the other changes were a bit clunky, but that may just be because I'm used to hearing the original versions.

Not harsh considering the majority of the laughs were from Duncan's hardcore blue fans!

I must say the show was a pure delight!
There were other differences people didn't note.
"has anyone seen viv"
There were only 4 male dancers at the start of whipped into shape not females.
The chip on your shoulder delta nu calander was not above the bedroom, i feel this would have worked much better in the balcony like the used with Elles Mom.
Different Costumes.
Lyric variations I will post later i made a note.

Ensemble stand outs: Ed White, Emma Bateman & Roxanne Palmer.

I was very impressed with Suzie Mcadam in particular the belt in legaly blonde remix.
Also I was fortunate to sit near the front and Caroline NAILED that note.

Sheridan was a pure delight and Aofie & Susan Mcfadden were pretty perfect.

#17 Guest_itsmebaby_*

Guest_itsmebaby_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

well after the disappointing CIN performance from Sheridan she was fantastic last night. Great show despite technical hitches which are really not a problem in previews.

Duncan James was plain appalling in every way - well almost: he looked the part well enough (the only plus with his performance) but he has NO stage presence and his singing is all over the place. Mind you there was a point when I though he was about to act but that moment passed almost instantly. At least it is a small part.

Alex G was excellent as were most of the leads. Jill H impressed me after a lukewarm start but the rewritten Ireland was terrific.

Will be good to see how the show shapes up with more performances.

#18 Guest_Guest_theatrelover1968_*_*

Guest_Guest_theatrelover1968_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(itsmebaby @ Dec 6 2009, 07:18 PM) View Post
well after the disappointing CIN performance from Sheridan she was fantastic last night. Great show despite technical hitches which are really not a problem in previews.

Duncan James was plain appalling in every way - well almost: he looked the part well enough (the only plus with his performance) but he has NO stage presence and his singing is all over the place. Mind you there was a point when I though he was about to act but that moment passed almost instantly. At least it is a small part.

I completly disagree with this comment. I am a 40 something gay male who LOVES musical theatre! I pride myself with having a lot of theatre knowledge as i used to be a musical director for many years in the westend.
I came to see Legally blonde with an open mind as i never saw the NYC version so i dint quite know what to expect, however i was COMPLETLY BLOWN AWAY by ALL the cast, and i have to give credit where credit is due....DUNCAN WAS A GREAT ACTOR AND PLAYED THE PART PERFECTLY!
For a first preview and lets remember people it was the first time they played infront of a paying audience, i was very impressed.

Sheridan smith stole the show and was just amazing in everyway!

Well done Jerry mitchell for a sterling job.

For the record people, Duncan James was very competent as a westend newcomer!

#19 Guest_itsmebaby_*

Guest_itsmebaby_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(Guest_theatrelover1968_* @ Dec 6 2009, 07:32 PM) View Post
I completly disagree with this comment. I am a 40 something gay male who LOVES musical theatre! I pride myself with having a lot of theatre knowledge as i used to be a musical director for many years in the westend.
I came to see Legally blonde with an open mind as i never saw the NYC version so i dint quite know what to expect, however i was COMPLETLY BLOWN AWAY by ALL the cast, and i have to give credit where credit is due....DUNCAN WAS A GREAT ACTOR AND PLAYED THE PART PERFECTLY!
For a first preview and lets remember people it was the first time they played infront of a paying audience, i was very impressed.

Sheridan smith stole the show and was just amazing in everyway!

Well done Jerry mitchell for a sterling job.

For the record people, Duncan James was very competent as a westend newcomer!

nearly all of the cast and creative team were stunning - i agree, but I still beg to differ regarding Duncan James. And he is hardly a newcomer to the West End. He was in Chicago a couple of years ago. But the rest of the cast certainly delivered big time. He might get better but then if the others are already very good so early on, no reason why he could not have been.

#20 Guest_smithy_*

Guest_smithy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:54 PM

Loved loved loved the show!
so much better than CIN! Sheridan and duncan were great, so was Peter but i thought Jill was not trailer trashy enough for paulette!

Ensemble were fantastic....great show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users