Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostZinone, on 28 November 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

Anyone know what the day seat situation is like on Saturday mornings these days?
I was there last Saturday. Got there just after 8am and had 4 people in front of me. 3 more arrived shortly afterwards. When the box office opened there were around 20 people I'd say.

#2732 Zinone

Zinone

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info!

#2733 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

10am yesterday morning, total of three people there.

Saw the show - can't say I was really impressed. This cast just do not seem to have the overall chemistry that the original cast did - I could hear every word of 'Gay or European' perfectly, I'm used to only being able to hear half of it due to the manic applause and laughter. 'Serious' barely raised a snigger, a marked contrast to what I've seen before.

The problem I think is this cast are hunting for the laughs too much, so it's looking ridiculously forced and hence not comical at all. The only person who seems to give a natural comic performance is Natalie (Paulette). Otherwise, Stephen seemed to misfire a lot of his jokes and Carley looked desperate to raise a smile. Ben was better than the only other time I've seen him on stage (Dreamboats/Petticoats) however his accent seemed to go walkabout a couple of times!

The one problem I have with Carley is that she doesn't seem to know who her Elle is, doesn't seem to be a great personality of the character shining through - I think there's a good Elle in there, she just needs to work out who she is trying to be then it'll flow and give the entire show a lift. Stephen suffers from a similar problem, in that he plays the role so camp that it's hard for the audience to buy into the romance between the pair. Shouldn't be the case that Emmett is played more convincingly gay than Nikos!

Audience seemed to be fairly full, how well is the show doing in that department these days normally?

#2734 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

See, I saw things differently to you - I thought Natalie was playing for laughs and not taking the character seriously, and I thought Stephen's Emmett was cheeky but quite shy at the same time (I loved the bit where he giggles at his own joke) - I didn't find him remotely camp.  I like Carley as Elle acting wise, but I don't really like her singing voice (Susan is the best Elle the London production has had vocally by a mile) - and I don't like Ben as Warner much at all.  

I've seen the new cast 3 times and everytime I went, Gay or European got a massive reaction, much bigger than the previous cast - I think it depends on the audience rather than the cast tbh.

#2735 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

View Postgreeny11, on 21 December 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

See, I saw things differently to you - I thought Natalie was playing for laughs and not taking the character seriously, and I thought Stephen's Emmett was cheeky but quite shy at the same time (I loved the bit where he giggles at his own joke) - I didn't find him remotely camp.  I like Carley as Elle acting wise, but I don't really like her singing voice (Susan is the best Elle the London production has had vocally by a mile) - and I don't like Ben as Warner much at all.  

I've seen the new cast 3 times and everytime I went, Gay or European got a massive reaction, much bigger than the previous cast - I think it depends on the audience rather than the cast tbh.

Interesting how we've seen it almost at polar opposites to each other!

Perhaps I have just walked in on two weak performances however in the first cast I never saw anything but a strong reaction while the two times I've seen it this year have been rather below par.

#2736 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:30 AM

Saw the show tonight ( last saw it when Sheridan was in it).. It seemed to take a while to get going,felt like the first half dragged. A lot of the jokes especially in Act 1 hardly raised a laugh.
Had the understudy playing Elle ( sorry forgoten her name) & she was good. A family of 4 sat on my left,walked out at the interval ! never seen that happen in a show before.

Did enjoy seeing Ross Hunter in a different role .

Stalls was pretty much full - not sure about the 2 Circles.

#2737 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:13 AM

View Postisabel, on 22 December 2011 - 01:30 AM, said:

Saw the show tonight ( last saw it when Sheridan was in it).. It seemed to take a while to get going,felt like the first half dragged. A lot of the jokes especially in Act 1 hardly raised a laugh.
Had the understudy playing Elle ( sorry forgoten her name) & she was good. A family of 4 sat on my left,walked out at the interval ! never seen that happen in a show before.

Did enjoy seeing Ross Hunter in a different role .

Stalls was pretty much full - not sure about the 2 Circles.

Ooh was it Gemma Sutton as Elle? I think she's brilliant and personally prefer her to Carley.
That's a shame about the family walking out in the interval! :o I've considered leaving at intervals in some shows, but have never actually done it as I always feel I may regret not seeing the second act. It's my optimism, I guess :) that 'it might hopefully get better in act 2'... in some cases, it does. Other times, it gets even worse!
Glad to hear the stalls were still pretty much full.
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#2738 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

View PostSam4God, on 22 December 2011 - 02:13 AM, said:

Ooh was it Gemma Sutton as Elle? I think she's brilliant and personally prefer her to Carley.
That's a shame about the family walking out in the interval! :o I've considered leaving at intervals in some shows, but have never actually done it as I always feel I may regret not seeing the second act. It's my optimism, I guess :) that 'it might hopefully get better in act 2'... in some cases, it does. Other times, it gets even worse!
Glad to hear the stalls were still pretty much full.

No don't think it was Gemma. I'm pretty sure the board said Georgie something !!

#2739 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:54 AM

View Postisabel, on 22 December 2011 - 02:49 AM, said:

No don't think it was Gemma. I'm pretty sure the board said Georgie something !!

Oh wow, she's the 2nd understudy! It may even have been her first 'Elle' show? Nice!
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#2740 ensemblemillie

ensemblemillie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:08 AM

View PostSam4God, on 22 December 2011 - 02:54 AM, said:

Oh wow, she's the 2nd understudy! It may even have been her first 'Elle' show? Nice!

As far as im aware georgie was on as Margot tonight, so either carly or gemma were on as elle, hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users