#31 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(Theatre_lover @ Jul 1 2007, 02:02 AM) View Post
Jan - I saw Troilus and Cressida by the RSC at Salisbury a few years ago, maybe 5? Had not read T&C, so was stunned by the excellent production, I would agree, a great play.

Have just seen Macbeth at Chichester, 10/10 for me. Will watch the McKellen on DVD to compare. Have seen a few Macbeths, and this tops the lot for me.

My least favourite? Rufus Sewell a few years back (what should I have expected, I guess). I quite liked Pennington's with the ESC a few years ago, and Roger Allam in 96 with the RSC at Stratford was probably my favourite before this week.

Probably the best Macbeth I have seen too, but not a strong field. I did not see the McKellen one.

#32 Theatre_lover

Theatre_lover

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Jul 1 2007, 09:35 AM) View Post
Probably the best Macbeth I have seen too, but not a strong field. I did not see the McKellen one.

Jan,
There is a McKellen &Judi Dench MacBeth on DVD (1978) of the RSC production - it was dished out as a freebie with the telegraph in the last few years, and I have a copy from then, havent got round to watching it - I intend to in the next week or so.

Before I found my copy, I noticed they were selling lots of these freebie ones on ebay. Amazon for a boxed dvd for about a tenner, about 3 for one of the telegraph ones on ebay, 7.50 for a boxed one on ebay.

#33 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(Theatre_lover @ Jul 1 2007, 12:26 PM) View Post
Jan,
There is a McKellen &Judi Dench MacBeth on DVD (1978) of the RSC production - it was dished out as a freebie with the telegraph in the last few years, and I have a copy from then, havent got round to watching it - I intend to in the next week or so.

I also have that DVD!  You must watch it, it is a superb production, and I think watching it with all the lights off is as close as it's possible to get to what it was like to actually be there. smile.gif
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#34 Theatre_lover

Theatre_lover

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Jul 1 2007, 05:14 PM) View Post
I also have that DVD! You must watch it, it is a superb production, and I think watching it with all the lights off is as close as it's possible to get to what it was like to actually be there. smile.gif

Cheers Josh - I will do as your suggest - lights off with a bottle of wine. Have you seen the production at the Minerva this season?

#35 Samantha

Samantha

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:36 AM

That is a fantastic dvd version... a favourite of mine.  I hope you too enjoy.

#36 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Apr 24 2007, 07:39 AM) View Post
I have noted before that despite public comments from Patrick Stewart saying he wanted RSC to give him a long-term contract they decided not to and while he will appear in Macbeth and Twelfth Night at Chichester this Summer the RSC will stage the same two plays in Stratford. An interesting opportunity to assess the wisdom of their decision.

The RSC have got off to a poor start in this contest with the current Stratford Macbeth - very unremarkable. The Chichester version opens end-May. Twelfth Night follows July/August.

So, after Chichester's trouncing of the RSC in the Macbeth stakes, we move on to Twelfth Night. From the reviews (I will not be seeing this production) it seems the Chichester production is very good (but not great) - can anyone comment ? This will leave the RSC needing to stage a very special production to compete (and from the details of it I know so far I fear the worst).

#37 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

The length of the Macbeth run in London is the EXACT length of my university term i.e. the exact period of time I will not be in London. Great!!!!!!!!!!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users