#21 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(M George @ Apr 28 2007, 03:56 PM) View Post
I agree.  Jerry Springer the Opera left me cold.  Most overrated show I have ever seen.
Really? I laughed like a drain (but I love bad taste...).
I also think there must be something wrong with anyone who doesn't find "Noises Off" funny...... blink.gif

Sebastian

#22 Bleep

Bleep

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:26 PM

The first incarnation of Martin Guerre, what a jawn that one was, really did not hold up by comparision with Les Mis and Miss Saigon.

David Harrower's Blackbird with its overly gimmicky ending that ruined for me what would have been otherwise a very powerful play, but those final five minutes just buggered the whole thing up for me, I rarely left the theatre that angry.

Wicked, i agree is rather overhyped and does not live up to that level of hype, it's good but not as incredibly amazing the publicity leads you to believe.

#23 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(InTheKnow @ Apr 28 2007, 09:02 AM) View Post
History Boys - saw it in its first week ....  And it all had the whiff of gay man's wish-fulfilment about it.

Yes that is true. You only have to look at the disproportionately large amount of traffic it generated (and continues to generate) on this discussion board to realise that - it was not until Equus came along that it was displaced.

In Bennett's much-lauded "Untold Stories" book he presents a casual apologia of Jonathan King's criminal antics which I found quite distasteful and I'm afraid this coloured my opinion of this play.

#24 pesa

pesa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Apr 30 2007, 12:55 PM) View Post
Yes that is true. You only have to look at the disproportionately large amount of traffic it generated (and continues to generate) on this discussion board to realise that - it was not until Equus came along that it was displaced.

In Bennett's much-lauded "Telling Tales" book he presents a casual apologia of Jonathan King's criminal antics which I found quite distasteful and I'm afraid this coloured my opinion of this play.

Not sure what you are trying to say 'Jan', I love Alan Bennetts work and always have done although I have to say that the History Boys is certainly not his best work.
You seem to be making rather a lot of insinuations about readers of this board both with regards to 'The History Boys' & 'Equus' and even though you probably didn't mean to cause offence your words could easily be misinterpreted.

Equus is a remarkable piece of work to me (my personal opinion only) and that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the male lead appears naked, I like to think I'm a little more mature than that and must say that your words do come across as rather narrow minded.

#25 JWC

JWC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(pesa @ Apr 30 2007, 03:24 PM) View Post

Equus is a remarkable piece of work to me (my personal opinion only) and that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the male lead appears naked.

Agreed. The vast majority of the correspondence about Equus had nothing to do with Daniel Radcliffe and the five minutes he appeared naked but was to do with the quality of the production as a whole, Richard Griffiths' illness and the problems this caused for the understudy -  a more than legitimate topic for discussion surely. J

Just because something is popular doesn't make it automatically a lesser work of art than something that goes largely unseen.

I have to hold my hand up and confess that I was one of the judging panel on the Olivier Awards the year The History Boys won and it did so deservedly (in my opinion!)

#26 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(Bleep @ Apr 29 2007, 06:26 PM) View Post
The first incarnation of Martin Guerre, what a jawn that one was, really did not hold up by comparision with Les Mis and Miss Saigon.
Agreed  - Version 1 had problems (version 1.5 was the best) but it was still better than the dreary touring version.

Sebastian

#27 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

I'm with Jan on the distastefulness of History Boys. Alan Bennet has consistently defended the 'hero's actions in it and refused to allow the word 'paedophilia' to be used in connection with the play (completely ignoring the little inconvenience of when the play was set). The endorsement of abusive and manipulative sexual relationships made it unpleasant viewing, IMO. Not to mention the fact that the 1980s setting was  poorly realised with many anachronisms and the educational arguments simplydidn't make sense. I have absolutely no idea why it was so popular.

*Sits back and waits for the flames*

#28 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE(pesa @ Apr 30 2007, 03:24 PM) View Post
[size=2]Not sure what you are trying to say 'Jan', I love Alan Bennetts work and always have done although I have to say that the History Boys is certainly not his best work.
You seem to be making rather a lot of insinuations about readers of this board both with regards to 'The History Boys' & 'Equus' and even though you probably didn't mean to cause offence your words could easily be misinterpreted.

Despite the fact we are apparently not allowed to mention it (see threads about the reviews of Piano/Forte) some plays (and musicals) appeal somewhat disproportionately to a heterosexual male audience and some to a homosexual male audience. Do you disagree ?

#29 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Apr 28 2007, 11:30 AM) View Post
Avenue Q itself is an underrated production, but its publicity campaign is very much overrated.

I saw it last night and partly agree with you - I think the marketing is skewed but not as out-of-kilter with the show as you seem to think. Anyway, I loved the show. I don't often say this about musicals but I could quite happily see it again.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#30 pesa

pesa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ May 1 2007, 07:22 AM) View Post
Despite the fact we are apparently not allowed to mention it (see threads about the reviews of Piano/Forte) some plays (and musicals) appeal somewhat disproportionately to a heterosexual male audience and some to a homosexual male audience. Do you disagree ?

Probably more Gay men enjoy musicals than straight men (never understood why to be honest) I agree but we are talking about something far more serious than being able to sing all the lines to 'Cabaret' here and the insinuation that a gay man will go to see the History Boys basically because he will 'get off' on the idea of seeing a middle aged man in authority touching up a teenage school boy (sorry Alan but this is exactly what happens) or seeing a 17 year old boy/man naked violently attack horses is a different matter, Homosexuality is one thing and paedophilia is another.

On another note when I saw Equus the larger proportion of the audience were young women many of whom were giggling away to themselves, I wouldn't by this think that all women were immature and rather stupid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users