Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

If you've been frustrated at all by Three Sisters being sold out at the Barbican, right now as I write this there are tickets available here for Tues 15 May. If you miss these, just keep checking back, I reckon more will be released.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#2 Welthorpe

Welthorpe

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:41 AM

I know it's not practical for everyone, but Warwick Arts Centre (Coventry) still has plenty of tickets. If it's as good as Twelfth Night (and I think some of the cast are the same) it will be well worth the trip.

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

Saw this last night and enjoyed it very much. The Barbican Theatre's reconfiguration is interesting - a steeply raked set of 3 blocks of seats with a further tier behind them acting as a sort of 'circle', all built over the existing stalls seats, and sloping back up to 'normal' circle level. The stage has been taken away and the performance area is at the floor-level of row A. I was on the left hand side of the left-hand 'stalls' block and while mostly okay there were times when I felt left out as a lot of the action is directed at the centre block, especially in the 1st half of act 2. I'm not quite sure why the auditorium has been reconfigured for the Cheek By Jowl productions but it's exciting.

There were some very nice performances especially from the sisters themselves and Nelly Uvarova is captivating to look at and full of energy. Great moments of overt and witheld emotion. Staging is minimal and lighting very effective especially in the long dinner scene in act 1.

I saw Tom Stoppard and Nicholas Hytner among others, and was amused to see Hytner sitting near some of the "dead white men" (press night).
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#4 JulieJordan

JulieJordan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:27 PM

I saw it at the Warwick Arts Centre (where I'm at uni) the other week. One of the most amazing pieces of theatre I've ever seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users