• Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:18 AM

Has anyone seen this yet? (at Wyndhams)

#2 thegills

thegills

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Dance (tap and ballet) Tennis, Football and many others.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:51 AM

I saw this Wednesday evening.   I don't know if I am biased because Anthony Andrews is a personal favourite of mine but I really enjoyed it.  The two main leads, Anthony and Jenny Seagrove were fantastic, I thought it was a master-class in acting.  They show you that you don't have to go over the top or be hammy to put something across, just a raised eyebrow will do it.

It was the first time I had been at this particular theatre and I thought it was the perfect venue for something like this.  It was quite intimate being quite small compared to some theatres.  It wasn't completely full but it is still in previews until next Tuesday.  It will be interesting to see what the critics make of it.

#3 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

Many thanks for that. Hope to see it soon.

#4 Emcee

Emcee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

I saw this last week and i was amazed at Anthony Andrew's acting. He can convey so much through his facial expressions. His performance was very subtle, yet effective. Jenny was great too portaying Leslie as a very confused woman.

#5 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

Well, maybe Ms Seagrove has improved since I saw this play on tour recently, but, on the night I went, I had to strain to make out anything she was saying, whereas the rest of the cast were crystal clear, and, as always, Anthony Andrews gave a really great performance. I asked others around me what they thought and they said the same thing. I put it down to the fact that, as with many actors nowadays, she is used to appearing on television most of the time and just cannot project from the stage. Also, her acting seemed to be all on one level, lacking any light or shade, and by the end was downright boring.

For a really superb performance as Leslie, by an actress not usually known for her subtlety, watch the DVD of the old movie version with Bette Davis. And the ending, although no doubt altered to suit the Hays Code at the time it was made, is much more satisfying than the rather vacuous one in the play.

#6 Emcee

Emcee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

Yeah...i remember talking to some of the cast about the alternate ending on the DVD. It was quite interesting smile.gif

I think Jenny gives quite a subtle performance...but i can imagine she must be difficult to hear at times from parts of the theatre. When i saw her in Night of the Iguana last year i could hear her fine. Guess its just one of those things! laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users