9 replies to this topic

#1 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

Is this still struggling to find a venue? Now the Apollo has confirmed a new play after Glass Menagerie, and the Trafalgar Studios arnt suitable just wondering if they have a back up plan?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Marius @ Feb 16 2007, 01:00 PM) View Post
Is this still struggling to find a venue? Now the Apollo has confirmed a new play after Glass Menagerie, and the Trafalgar Studios arnt suitable just wondering if they have a back up plan?

I'd love to have Rent back but with a decent cast this time. The first London version was stunning and easily overcame the weaknesses with the characters. Unfortunately the last outing of Rent was a poor version of that to say the least although it was admittedly marred mostly by the execrable Caprice who had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Some very odd direction choices too which resulted in a show in which it was harder to care for the one-dimensional characters.

#3 theatrebore

theatrebore

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 16 2007, 01:47 PM) View Post
I'd love to have Rent back but with a decent cast this time. The first London version was stunning and easily overcame the weaknesses with the characters. Unfortunately the last outing of Rent was a poor version of that to say the least although it was admittedly marred mostly by the execrable Caprice who had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Some very odd direction choices too which resulted in a show in which it was harder to care for the one-dimensional characters.

Just hope the rummours are not true about H from steps being in it,

#4 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:51 PM

arethey just resetting it in London oractually tryingto say its set in 2007 - can't see the latter working as the use of AZT is of it times and a lot of references about drugs and AIDS are not valid today.

#5 Guest_Kaplan_*

Guest_Kaplan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(In the Know @ Feb 16 2007, 02:51 PM) View Post
arethey just resetting it in London oractually tryingto say its set in 2007 - can't see the latter working as the use of AZT is of it times and a lot of references about drugs and AIDS are not valid today.

I love Rent although mainly for its music but it has dated very quickly - to the point of it having little impact. It is a good show though despite its flaws (a touch pretentious and many of the characters are living in cloud cuckoo land - get a bloody job instead of whining to the world as if the world owes you everything you crave!!). It is always on my list of things to see each time I go to NY however and I would like to see a decent version here in London but no celeb casting where the celeb cannot hack it.

#6 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(In the Know @ Feb 16 2007, 02:51 PM) View Post

could you drop the AZT? so much of that show is based on the fact it's 1999 and we are entering a new time period but with the same old problems

today the drugs have changed and life is getting better for people with HIV but we still have major issues. i think the show is pretty timeless along with le miz, la traviata and la boheme

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 16 2007, 01:47 PM) View Post

I loved the last cast....saw the show on many occasions. Yeah Caprice was badly cast but the rest of the cast where superb. Mig Ayesa as Angel Debbie Kurup as Mimi and Damien Flood as Roger gave it there all every single night despite having to work with a Mureen that mimed!

#8 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

London...2007....

so 'we living in america, at the end of the millenium' would have to go then!!!  blink.gif (one of my fav tunes)
"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#9 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

leon whatsit who was on soapstar superstar was apparently cast as benny i think it was.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#10 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(Reich @ Feb 16 2007, 03:25 PM) View Post
could you drop the AZT? so much of that show is based on the fact it's 1999 and we are entering a new time period but with the same old problems

today the drugs have changed and life is getting better for people with HIV but we still have major issues. i think the show is pretty timeless along with le miz, la traviata and la boheme

I am not trying in anyway to suggest that anyone living with a Aids reated illness has it easy and there are major issues to deal with. What I am saying is AZT was very much a drug of the 90's and its use solely is unusual, what with combination therapy.

The whole ideal of this production was to update to the 2000's in a London Night club, keep it where it was originally set , its fine, why feel you need  to update it !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users