• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 tom_waldo

tom_waldo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

I'm off to see this tomorrow night, has anyone else seen it? What should I expect?

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE(tom_waldo @ Apr 30 2007, 03:28 PM) View Post
I'm off to see this tomorrow night, has anyone else seen it? What should I expect?

I have not seen it. I will be interested to hear what you think. It seems very odd (and a little unfair on the actress) to be previewing it with an understudy in the lead role and then opening it with someone else.

#3 tom_waldo

tom_waldo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

I hadn't seen any Chekhov before, so I can't comment on how it stands up to the recent productions in London, but I really enjoyed last night. The direction was clear, thankfully there weren't any concepts or 'big ideas' applied to the play and the actors seemed comfortable in what they were doing. Melanie Jessop was fantastic as Arkadina and my friend thought I was referring to Nina when I mentioned the understudy. I agree, it does seem unfair to open without her, but it would be interesting to see if Jessop is doing her version of Arkadina or Francis Barber's. It is a shame that this seems to have overshadowed much of the attention the play has been getting, it deserves mention of its many merits.

#4 Emcee

Emcee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

Out of interest Tom, what was the set like?

I went to see King Lear about a month ago now and i'd be interested how they used this set for a different production.

#5 tom_waldo

tom_waldo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

There was a narrow door that rises to the ceiling on the left hand side of the stage, then a wall with peeling wallpaper that doubles as the lake through projection and reflection, and about four tree trunks that rise out of the stage, framed in a false perspective arch. There is minimal use of props, but they use something in every scene, and it's really through the lighting that the atmosphere changes.  I'm not sure if that's done it justice, but it was very fitting, interesting to see what the KL set looks like.

#6 Emcee

Emcee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, that does sound interesting. Based upon your description the KL set sounds completely different! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users