Equus: First Peview Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Al_*

Guest_Al_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Oh please @ Feb 19 2007, 02:22 PM) View Post
Anyone queening about why this show is getting so much attention on this messageboard needs to get some perspective. Its the stage debut of one of the most famous film personalities in the world. In fact its the first time the worlds seen him play anything but the role hes famous for. You have the world media bearing down upon it, can you therefore blame everyday people being quite avid about it, as a result? Whether it ought to or not has no relevance, but the fact is that this show transcends any traditional shows profile and youre just gonna have to live with that. It wont hurt you.

Well Said!

#32 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

Woop de doo

#33 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:18 PM

I just went out with a friend who was raving about how excellent the preview she saw was.  She went as a fan of Richard Griffiths, but thought Radcliffe was (and I quote here) 'majestic.'

However, she was surprised by how many mothers had brought their relatively young children to see it (I find this amazing given the advertising campaign) and that some were demonstrably traumatised at the interval.

#34 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:04 PM

That is quite shocking because the content of the play is definitely not suitable for young children. Maybe they just wanted to see Harry Potter and booked without really knowing what it was about.

#35 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

I don't know much about the play, but even from what I've read, it's quite clearly unsuitable for young kids.

I have absolutely no issue with Daniel Radcliffe's participation.. in fact I'm really looking forward to seeing him. But I think it is, perhaps, irresponsible of the producers to cast a person whose fanbase is primarily very young, especially when it doesn't seem that they have really emphasised the extent to which the kids might be traumatised by the show.
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#36 Paul

Paul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Feb 19 2007, 09:15 PM) View Post
But I think it is, perhaps, irresponsible of the producers to cast a person whose fanbase is primarily very young, especially when it doesn't seem that they have really emphasised the extent to which the kids might be traumatised by the show.

I agree in that they should make it very clear to potential audiences that it might not / isn't suitable for children or whatever, but how harsh would it be on him if he got turned down for a job (that I assume he wanted) purely based on the age of his fans!
It's nice to be better, but it's better to be nice...

#37 Guest_gandalf_*

Guest_gandalf_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

I don't know much about the play, but even from what I've read, it's quite clearly unsuitable for young kids.

I have absolutely no issue with Daniel Radcliffe's participation.. in fact I'm really looking forward to seeing him. But I think it is, perhaps, irresponsible of the producers to cast a person whose fanbase is primarily very young, especially when it doesn't seem that they have really emphasised the extent to which the kids might be traumatised by the show.

#38 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

i suppose it depends on whether he actively auditioned along with others, or whether they went to him and said 'we want you to play this role'.. i fear the latter.

#39 Rhincewind

Rhincewind

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

But I think it is, perhaps, irresponsible of the producers to cast a person whose fanbase is primarily very young, especially when it doesn't seem that they have really emphasised the extent to which the kids might be traumatised by the show.

Surely the responsibility is on the parents of these children rather than the producers? Given all of the media attention surrounding the publicity shots, they can hardly plead ignorance about the nature of the play.

#40 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(Rhincewind @ Feb 19 2007, 09:36 PM) View Post
Surely the responsibility is on the parents of these children rather than the producers? Given all of the media attention surrounding the publicity shots, they can hardly plead ignorance about the nature of the play.

i think it's both. parents can only make a decision based on having ALL of the information available to them. the publicity i've seen has been along the lines of 'a boy who has an unusual relationship with horses'.. from what i can gather, he simulates sex with the horses, doesn't he??? that's not a natural assumption i'd make based on the press.

the producers should be making more information available so parents can make an informed decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users