Equus: First Peview Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#91 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

I'm not a fan of Sharrock either (Heroes and Voyage both very poorly blocked, in my view), but she redeems herself with EQUUS which I saw the final preview of last night.

EQUUS is a really terrific play, in its first act especially - the second act gets off to a rather boring first 10 minutes. Radcliffe is terrific, and Griffiths (who I'm the only person in the world to think was hugely over-rated for History Boys!) really knocked me out last night. The two make a great combination, and Joanna Christie is tremendous as well. Sharrock benefits from having two legends creating the visuals with her (or perhaps for her), John Napier and David Hersey, with great sound by Gregory Clarke. It's a real psychological thriller.

The nude scene is staged extremely well and unlike some nude scenes (are you listening Terry Johnson?) is clearly not done to make the most of seeing bare bottoms and rude bits and so is a real theatrical thrill rather than being in the least titilating.

I hope it doesn't just run its 10 weeks and then stop. I think Pugh should run a bunch of good actors in it for 12 week stints afterwards. It's a real west end event, and deserves not to be seen as a star vehicle. EQUUS is a great play, not just a great star show off.

Hope everyone goes and enjoys. Watch out for the reviews tomorrow- I think they're going to go ballistic for it.

#92 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 27 2007, 02:48 PM) View Post
I'm not a fan of Sharrock either (Heroes and Voyage both very poorly blocked, in my view), but she redeems herself with EQUUS which I saw the final preview of last night.

Do you notice what time it finished? I read somewhere that it was overrunning by nearly half an hour during the first couple of performances.

#93 Snout

Snout

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:55 AM

Running time circa 2hrs 30 mins.

#94 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

With such abysmally flawed writing it's hard to judge anyone's performances.

Shaffer is just codswallop, codswallop, codswallop.

#95 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:07 AM

A perfect companion piece to Royal Hunt of the Sun. Where that has sentimental, over-simplified politics, this has sentimental over-simplified psychobabble.

A true 60s' kid. However well-intentioned Mr Shaffer's idealism, it just doesn't add up.

#96 Guest_Sarah Trippy_*

Guest_Sarah Trippy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:39 AM

Does Joanna Christie get naked too?

#97 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(Sarah Trippy @ Mar 1 2007, 05:39 AM) View Post
Does Joanna Christie get naked too?

In the interests of equality yes she does BUT she's not on stage naked for as long as Radcliffe and the lighting on her is done in such a way as to mainly hide her front bottom (not that I was looking  unsure.gif ).

I wonder how she is reacting to everyone commenting on her naked co-star but hardly mentioning her.
Which way did he go McGill?

#98 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

"I wonder how she is reacting to everyone commenting on her naked co-star but hardly mentioning her"

Iain Glen had the same problem when everyone could only talk about Nicole "pure ****" Kidman in The Blue Room.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#99 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

Ooooh ! Interesting ! The system has censored the V word!!  wink.gif
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#100 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

I should think so too, Ian. I'm shocked...really shocked.  smile.gif

Btw I've just had to join as a member, greatly against my instincts, in order to post - seems guests have now been prevented from posting, at least temporarily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users