89 replies to this topic

#1 Zozo

Zozo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

Just read the story on Rachel Tucker being cast as Elphaba, i watched her on I'd do anything and i saw her in We Will Rock You, i really like her but i'm not convinced her voice is strong enough to play Elphaba...
What does anyone else think.....

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

Ummm, wait and see her in the role maybe???

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

I'll watch her and then make a decision

#4 Zozo

Zozo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

yh i'll go see her, i'm not saying anything against her i've just never thought her to have a strong enough voice for a character like that

#5 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

I think she'll bring something different to the part!

I wish her the best and she has very big shoes to fill left by Kerry! biggrin.gif
Hasa diga eebowai

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Zozo @ Jan 15 2010, 04:02 PM) View Post
Just read the story on Rachel Tucker being cast as Elphaba, i watched her on I'd do anything and i saw her in We Will Rock You, i really like her but i'm not convinced her voice is strong enough to play Elphaba...
What does anyone else think.....

She'll be all miked up as usual won't she?

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(ultimatetheatrefan @ Jan 15 2010, 07:35 PM) View Post
I think she'll bring something different to the part!

I wish her the best and she has very big shoes to fill left by Kerry! biggrin.gif

Well, she's going to take over Alexia Khadime actually...  wink.gif
I did not like Kerry's acting at all and I am not so fond of Alexia either and I am definitely looking forward to see Rachel  laugh.gif

#8 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 15 2010, 08:12 PM) View Post
Well, she's going to take over Alexia Khadime actually...  wink.gif
I did not like Kerry's acting at all and I am not so fond of Alexia either and I am definitely looking forward to see Rachel  laugh.gif

Well from seeing her as Scaramouche twice I don't think anyone should be worried about her voice, she had no problems there.  Her voice was great

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

I don't think anyone has to worry about her voice (although she can be pitchy), more so her lack of emotional connection with what she sings, she has very dead eyes.

#10 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

How about waiting until you've seen her in the role before passing judgement?  It seems terribly unfair to be negative before she's even stepped onstage.

I've never understood the hysteria surrounding Wicked (and some of the cast members) or the preciousness of some people about how roles should be played.  Every actor comes to a role with their own ideas on how to interpret it and breathe life into the character.  Also, every Musical Theatre actor has different vocal capabilities, so what one actor does vocally, isn't necessarily going to fit another actor's voice.

Surely it's better to have a series of actors bringing something new and different to a role, rather than have them slavishly copying each other.

As for Rachel, I'm pleased for her that she's got this role.  I'm sure she'll give it 100% and I hope she enjoys her time in Wicked.  I also hope that the hardcore fans give her a chance and judge her on her own merit, not in comparison with previous Elphabas!    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users