Rachel Tucker As Elphaba

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(johartuk @ Jan 16 2010, 03:25 PM) View Post
How about waiting until you've seen her in the role before passing judgement?  It seems terribly unfair to be negative before she's even stepped onstage.

I've never understood the hysteria surrounding Wicked (and some of the cast members) or the preciousness of some people about how roles should be played.  Every actor comes to a role with their own ideas on how to interpret it and breathe life into the character.  Also, every Musical Theatre actor has different vocal capabilities, so what one actor does vocally, isn't necessarily going to fit another actor's voice.

Surely it's better to have a series of actors bringing something new and different to a role, rather than have them slavishly copying each other.

As for Rachel, I'm pleased for her that she's got this role.  I'm sure she'll give it 100% and I hope she enjoys her time in Wicked.  I also hope that the hardcore fans give her a chance and judge her on her own merit, not in comparison with previous Elphabas!

Well said!

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

Its amazing - someone in another post slated someone that was starting in that cast and everyone bullied them, what are the majority of you doing now?!

#13 Trev Monster

Trev Monster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

Having seen Wicked with Idina Menzel as Elphaba (Credited with creating/developing the role of Elphaba on broadway!) it would be quite easy to judge everyone on her performance - But I don't as it's always good for someone to bring something new to the role and interpret it to suit their characteristics!

I'm sure Rachel will be a smash hit... She wouldn't be cast if she was not up to the job!

#14 Guest_Ali_*

Guest_Ali_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

Wicked producers have done alright so far with casting. Not so sure why it would start to slide now. They have far too much to protect to cast someone that may or may not be up to the role.

In other roles, I've not liked Rachel but Elphaba is a whole different kettle of fish!

#15 Rain

Rain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(johartuk @ Jan 16 2010, 03:25 PM) View Post
How about waiting until you've seen her in the role before passing judgement?  It seems terribly unfair to be negative before she's even stepped onstage.

I've never understood the hysteria surrounding Wicked (and some of the cast members) or the preciousness of some people about how roles should be played.  Every actor comes to a role with their own ideas on how to interpret it and breathe life into the character.  Also, every Musical Theatre actor has different vocal capabilities, so what one actor does vocally, isn't necessarily going to fit another actor's voice.

Surely it's better to have a series of actors bringing something new and different to a role, rather than have them slavishly copying each other.

As for Rachel, I'm pleased for her that she's got this role.  I'm sure she'll give it 100% and I hope she enjoys her time in Wicked.  I also hope that the hardcore fans give her a chance and judge her on her own merit, not in comparison with previous Elphabas!

Well said! wink.gif

#16 tsxmitw

tsxmitw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

Rachel and Louise impressed the casting producers In Broadway, and part of that team includes Steven Shwartz himself. I think based on that we should at least give them a chance. smile.gif

#17 Guest_Guest_steph_*_*

Guest_Guest_steph_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

I am always amazed and slightly apalled by the hysterical reaction of Wicked fans to anything to do with 'their' show.

Rachel is a lovely person and she can sing the hell out of a role like Ephaba...so lets wait and see, but im pretty sure she wont be a disappoinment....and thank god for a new Glinda after all this time.

#18 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:58 AM

I'm thrilled about Louise, she's awesome!! I'm quickly coming around to the idea of Rachel as Elphaba even though initially I had reservations. I'm more than willing to give her a chance though, I didn't like her as Meat or Scaramouche, but she has a hell of a voice and must be good if she was cast. She's a lovely girl too, they both are. I'm excited to see what they'll bring to the show. Will book for their first night as soon as I can afford to!

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

Rather at the AV than at Drury Lane with the Kerry Ellis fans. That's what I say!

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

there will also be a new wizard.. a fine and seasoned West End performer who will bring a lot to the role...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users