89 replies to this topic

#81 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Ahh exciting, I'm sure she'll do a brilliant version of that song!  And glad I was right about No One But You, I never got to see her as Meat but I like the recordings I've listened to on Youtube :)

#82 ajkb7926

ajkb7926

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Other tracks announced are:
Small Bump
Stone Cold Sober
Gone Too Soon

#83 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Just got an email that the release of Rachel's album has been delayed until 12th August.
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#84 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yes, and the album launch is still next week, meaning everyone at that gig will get to hear the songs before anyone else.
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#85 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Anybody have any thoughts about last night's launch...everything I've heard so far has been a bit vague in detail, but everyone says she was AMAZING!
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#86 TR252

TR252

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

I was about to ask the same thing! From what I've read on Twitter she was incredible, so jealous of everybody who was there. I can't make the date that went on sale this morning for October either. I hope she does more soon. :)

I'm really looking forward to this album. She seems to have chosen songs that really mean something to her. Small Bump by Ed Sheeran is an interesting choice considering the twist at the end of it - very sorry to hear if she went through something similar! Although I haven't heard the edit so maybe those couple of lines were missed out.

#87 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

I was able to go to the launch, and she gave a stunning show! Her voice is gorgeous as ever, she looks amazing considering she only gave birth a few months ago, and the support of her family who were there was incredible. She was so funny and lovely throughout the gig, which was really personal and intimate in setting, and you could really feel all the emotion in the songs she'd picked specifically for her album. My personal favourites of the evening (even though I loved everything) were Stone Cold Sober, The Reason, My Immortal and of course, Defying Gravity. All her signature riffs and growls were in there and hearing it again brought back so many good memories of her as Elphaba. I couldn't have asked for a better evening, and I'm itching to get my copy of the album!!

Also to clear this up, she changed the ending of Small Bump so it wasn't like the original at all. :)
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#88 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Why was the release delayed, does anyone know?

#89 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

They just wanted that little extra bit of time to finish it without rushing it...I'm sure it is worth the wait, just about a week and a half now :-)
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#90 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Just returned home from my trip to London and found Rachel's CD in my letterbox. Excited to give it a listen, since I resisted listening to the snippets that were released earlier...

Edit: Took me some time to get this written. After listening to Rachel's CD for the first time last Thursday, I was hugely disappointed. Slept over it and gave it another listen the next day, but unfortunately liked it even less. Wanted then to listen to it a third time a couple of days later planning to at least skip all the tracks I don't like, but I ended up skipping through the entire album. Couldn't pull myself together since then to listen to it another time.

For me, the main problem are the arrangements of the songs. Not only her original songs, but also the cover versions of the original MT songs (songs whose original versions I love) sound so boring and weird (even though beautifully sung by Rachel). The entire album just appears as an ordinary pop album (and that's not meant as a compliment, as I can't stand today's pop music at all).
It's not the downsized orchestration or acoustic version, as I e.g. love Kerry Ellis' take on "No-one but you" on her "Acoustic by candlelight" CD (which I can highly recommend), but the way Rachel's songs are arranged make them sound just strange.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Rachel on stage, it was her "fault" that I initially fell in love with Wicked and I'd love seeing her on stage again soon, but her solo CD and me won't become friends at all. Her CD falls in the same category as Ramin Karimloo's "Ramin", Louise Dearman's "Here comes the sun", Caissie Levy's "With You" and Megan Hilty's "It happens all the time": MT actors I love on stage but whose solo CDs are simply dull and boring due to the strange musical arrangements.

To also give some counterexamples: I absolutely love Lauren Varnham's "Astonishing", Ruthie Henshall's "I've loved these days" or the Momentous Musicals CD (all three published this year) and I wish Rachel's CD sounded like one of these.

Edited by John_Rebus, 21 August 2013 - 07:41 PM.

"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users