12 replies to this topic

#11 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

No you're right Jan, Michael Grandage played Roderigo. I've only seen this production on dvd but it was superb. I'm in two minds whether to see this next production, if you've seen one that was so very good can it be spoiled by seeing another one or do you just end up negatively comparing it? I suppose if you go to the theatre for long enough you inevitably end up seeing different versions of plays. I cannot imagine this cast doing this play but that's probably only because in my head the parts belong to McKellen and co. I suupose at the very least the intimacy of the donmar could be hard to beat.

#12 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

Was that the one with Willard White as Othello? If so, then yes, it was superb. And ground breaking with McKellen's insights into the part. But I have read that the director for this Donmar prod sees Iago as an attractive, popular guy with no trace of the baddie and so that's why he succeeds. Mc Gregor well suited to this I think. I'm looking forward to a new appraisal of the play in this light. Iago is the character who takes the audience with him into the devilry and this makes the play disturbing to watch. It's the only Shakespeare that makes me want to to get up and shout at the characters every time I see it. So don't go same night as I do.

#13 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

Yep that's the one. Yes that could be an interesting new insight, or a new insight at the very least. I would have to agree Lynette that this play does provoke me to keep wanting to shout noooooo. This fact can only be excerbated by its being at the donmar where i always have to stop myself trying to prevent headlong disaster by leaping onto the stage. So perhaps we should go on the same night and then at least we'll be in good company!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users