25 replies to this topic

#11 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:58 PM

This is something I came across in 'At the Royal Court' edited by Richard Findlater (1981). Having been at the Mayfair Theatre from March 1975, 'Treats' transferred for a few weeks to the Royal Court from February 1976. Cast: Jane Asher, James Bolam and Stephen Moore.

#12 gogogirl_03

gogogirl_03

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

I saw this last night and was pleasantly surprised, i've seen quite a few tv/film actors cross over onto stage and not pull it off but I thought Billie Piper really shone in the second half, she really held the audience when she was on stage on her own. when she did the curtain call she was still on the verge of tears she really gave it her all.  And Kris Marshall was really hot, worth going to see I reckon!

#13 Pup07

Pup07

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

I saw the show a few nights ago and thought she was ok. I think the play is quite weak or the direction. The whole cast scratch a great deal - are they invested with something? Anyone else notice that?

#14 Shaunyboy

Shaunyboy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:32 PM

I saw the matinee of Treats on Thursday 1st March and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although, not sure of the use of the word, "paki" when Dave refers to his dog being given to the local newsagents.  Maybe this was acceptable in 1975 but definitely not in 2007.  Or maybe  it was just another facet to Dave's totally repugnant character.  

So Ann, why go back to him?

Still trying to work that one out.  Do women really go for bastards like that?

#15 franzie

franzie

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

I know what you mean it made me double take a bit, but it's not like Kris Marshall character is made out to be nice in any way and the other actors cringe when he says it. Apparently the play is based on a real life love triangle that involved Jane Asher and artistic director of the Royal Court at the time (dont know his name) so that explains why she went back to him I guess. I can see she was attracted to the glamour and excitement of him even if he was a shit, I thought the moment when she agrees to sleep with him that ends in him getting violent was really chilling, but some girls dig that kind of power play. I've been in both kinds of relationships (not violent but unpredictable shall we say) and nice but dull is well, boring as hell. I know which I'd choose.

#16 gogogirl_03

gogogirl_03

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:56 PM

yeah I heard that too I think it was between Robert Kidd who was at the Royal Court in the 70s and her current husband Gerald Scarfe. Guess things dont change, bit ironic that this play is surrounded by gossip over billie and laurence, I hope she sticks with the nice guy in real life, she deserves for things to work out for her! franzie : bastards only end up making you feel like shit, hope you're with someone a bit better these days

#17 franzie

franzie

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:33 PM

thanks gogogirl, yeah life's not too bad at the moment cant complain! But i still reckon boring can end up being contemptable

#18 russ

russ

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:18 AM

I have 2 questions about this production:-

1 Why?
2 Where did the designer get the lovely lamp that was on the table at the back of the set? I spent the whole of act one
   wondering if it was made of glass or a plastic copy a la Phillipe Starck.

I do wish Billie Piper well in her recovery. I think she's a good actress & was sorry she wasn't appearing last night (why did curtain go up 15 minutes late - no explanation given), but I don't believe this play will be troubling the Garrick for too long.

#19 Snout

Snout

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:51 AM

I posted on the performers strand wondering what was wrong with Billie last night but now see from today's Daily Mail that she had been out late clubbing the night before with Chris Evans.
Not very professional.
Certainly makes it harder to have sympathy for her.

#20 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(Snout @ Mar 7 2007, 08:51 AM) View Post
I posted on the performers strand wondering what was wrong with Billie last night but now see from today's Daily Mail that she had been out late clubbing the night before with Chris Evans.
Not very professional.
Certainly makes it harder to have sympathy for her.
That's if you believe everything that you read in the Daily Mail...... blink.gif

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users