• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#21 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

I have to say it again - Daniel was not a Joseph, never would be and thats why ALW got rid of him, I can completly understand that and really Lee is too old as well. Daniel will get a great role within months and it will be more suited to his style of performance. He would make a great Mr Cellophane in a few years, he was dull and boring and not watchable as Joseph.

I know I keep saying it but its Ben all the way, put a bet on him from the start. If he pulls off the vulnerable side to a song next week like he has been asked to, he WILL be Joseph ! I think the public, especiall teen girls are voting for him in their masses.

#22 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE(In the Know @ May 21 2007, 12:28 AM) View Post
I have to say it again - Daniel was not a Joseph, never would be and thats why ALW got rid of him, I can completly understand that and really Lee is too old as well. Daniel will get a great role within months and it will be more suited to his style of performance. He would make a great Mr Cellophane in a few years, he was dull and boring and not watchable as Joseph.

I know I keep saying it but its Ben all the way, put a bet on him from the start. If he pulls off the vulnerable side to a song next week like he has been asked to, he WILL be Joseph ! I think the public, especiall teen girls are voting for him in their masses.

Lee's only about 25 you know....I'd hardly call that too old.
I won't be called a baggage!

#23 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:28 AM

If 25 is too old, then presumably every actor who has played the role professionally over the last 30 years has been too old. Are you being serious?

#24 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

It's unfortunate that a theatrical role is being cast on TV, as age can be disguised far more easily on stage than on screen. A few years ago I saw a 24-year-old play a girl of 14 very convincingly (though it helped that she's only 152 cm tall), and last year I saw someone in her late twenties play a woman approaching 40. It's only the really bad actors who can't play against their true age. I hope the Any Dream Will Do audiences don't judge Lee Mead's suitability to play a stage role by the way he looks on TV.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#25 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ May 21 2007, 09:27 AM) View Post
It's unfortunate that a theatrical role is being cast on TV, as age can be disguised far more easily on stage than on screen. A few years ago I saw a 24-year-old play a girl of 14 very convincingly (though it helped that she's only 152 cm tall), and last year I saw someone in her late twenties play a woman approaching 40. It's only the really bad actors who can't play against their true age. I hope the Any Dream Will Do audiences don't judge Lee Mead's suitability to play a stage role by the way he looks on TV.

I don't think they will on account that he's not too old to play the part at all.  He looks just right for it!

#26 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(M George @ May 21 2007, 05:51 AM) View Post
Lee's only about 25 you know....I'd hardly call that too old.

Yeah but most of them were celebrities and that was the reason, not done to suitability. This time they can afford to go with an 18 year old.

#27 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ May 21 2007, 06:28 AM) View Post
If 25 is too old, then presumably every actor who has played the role professionally over the last 30 years has been too old. Are you being serious?

Sorry this was meant as a response to your reply. Yeah but most of them were celebrities and that was the reason, bums on seats for names - not done to suitability. This time they can afford to go with an 18 year old.

#28 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(In the Know @ May 21 2007, 10:22 AM) View Post
Sorry this was meant as a response to your reply. Yeah but most of them were celebrities and that was the reason, bums on seats for names - not done to suitability. This time they can afford to go with an 18 year old.

.....an 18 years old with limited experience leading the cast of high energy west end show for 8 performances a week.  I don't think that is hugely suitable.

#29 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(M George @ May 21 2007, 11:03 AM) View Post
.....an 18 years old with limited experience leading the cast of high energy west end show for 8 performances a week.  I don't think that is hugely suitable.

Dont say that to Lea Salonga ! Its more to thesupport around the 18 year. Have not seen Billy Elliott so cant comment on age of those boys or size of role.

#30 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(In the Know @ May 21 2007, 11:49 AM) View Post
Dont say that to Lea Salonga ! Its more to thesupport around the 18 year. Have not seen Billy Elliott so cant comment on age of those boys or size of role.

Well you can't compare with the boys of Billy Elliot because they only do 2 or 3 shows a week.  As for Lea Salonga, granted she was 17 when she orginated Kim but female voices do settle down and mature earlier than male voices and secondly she was, and still is, an exceptional talent - more so than any of the Josephs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users