#1 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:33 PM

Thought I'd make an easy-read list of what's coming up at the NT since I'm finding all the articles about it kinda difficult to read!

Olivier:

A Matter of Life and Death - directed by Emma Rice, adapted by Tom Morris from the 1946 film.  Cast includes Douglas Hodge , Tristan Sturrock,  Lyndsey Marshal, and Gisli Orn Gardarsson. From 3 May  to 21 June 2007.

Saint Joan - directed by Marianne Elliott, by George Bernard Shaw. Cast includes Anne-Marie Duff. From 11 July.

War Horse - directed by Marianne Elliott, in collaboration with South African puppet company Handspring, adapted from the novel by Michael Morpugo by Nick Stafford. From 8 October 2007 to February 2008.

Much Ado about Nothing - directed by Nicholas Hytner/Simon Russell Beale(?), by William Shakespeare, cast includes Zoe Wanamaker and Simon Russell Beale. From December - dates tbc.

Oedipus the King - directed by Jonathan Kent, by Sophocles in a new version by Douglass Dunn, cast includes Ralph Fiennes. 2008 tbc.

Lyttelton:

Rafta, Rafta… - directed by Nicholas Hytner, by Ayub Khan-Din, cast includes Meera Syal, Harish Patiel, Roksaneh Ghawam-Shahidi. From 19 April 2007.

Philistines - directed by Howard Davies, by Maxim Gorky in a new version by Andrew Upton, cast includes Rory Kinnear and Ruth Wilson. From 23 May 2007.  

The Hothouse - directed by Ian Rickson, by Harold Pinter.  From July 2007.

Present Laughter - directed by Howard Davies, by Noel Coward. Cast includes Alex Jennings. From October 2007 .

Women of Troy - directed by Katie Mitchell, by Euripides. From November 2007.

Cottesloe:

Landscape with Weapon - directed by Roger Michell, written by Joe Penhall, cast includes Tom Hollander, Julian Rhind-Tutt, Jason Watkins, Pippa Haywood. From 20 March.

The Five Wives of Maurice Pinder - directed by Sarah Frankcom, written by Matt Charman, cast includes Larry Lamb, Sorcha Cusack, Clare Holman. From June.

The Enchantment - directed by Paul Miller, by Victoria Benedictsson in a new version by Clare Bayley. dates tbc

Chatroom/Citizenship - directed by Anna Mackmin, written by Enda Walsh/Mark Ravenhill - returning in the autumn ahead of a regional tour.

Harper Regan - directed by Marianne Elliot, written by Simon Stephens, dates tbc.

He used to call me — Blue Roses.

#2 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for the list, josh.

I'd like to see 'A Matter of Life and Death,' 'Philistines,' 'Saint Joan,' 'Present Laughter,' 'Landscape with Weapons,' and 'The Five Wives of Maurice Pinder'.

'Much Ado About Nothing' is an exquisite play but I'm happy to keep in my head a terrific stage version years ago that featured Derek Jacobi and Sinead Cusack, which isn't to say that Beale and Wanamaker won't do it well too.

What I'll get to see will depend on ticket prices and availability. Reduced price seats make theatre affordable for me.

#3 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

You're welcome!

I want to see 'A Matter of Live and Death', 'War Horse', 'Much Ado', 'Phillistines', 'Women of Troy,' Rafta, Rafta', 'Landscape With Weapon' and 'The Enchantment.' That's a lot!

You can't beat the NT for value I feel. I see everything in the Lyttleton and Olivier for £10, and usually get student tix or returns for the Cottesloe, or pay a bit more if I'm desperate to see something. That's the only way I can afford it as well!

I have a feeling this Much Ado will be something really special. I'm excited about it even though I just saw the RSC production with Tamsin Greig. Are Wanamaker and Beale not a bit old for Beatrice and Benedick? Might give it an interesting slant - 'a middle aged much ado'!
He used to call me — Blue Roses.

#4 Guest_ellen_*

Guest_ellen_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:05 AM

well, the last play by matt charman, at soho, was terrible. let's hope this one is better..

does anyone have any idea what 'landscape with weapon' is about?

#5 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

I see the WOS news story describes The Hothouse as 'lost'. Is that a quote from the NT publicity? It seems an odd adjective since it was revived at the Comedy about 10 years ago with Pinter in the cast.

It looks a great season with at least half a dozen must-sees in it. Like Josh, I'll see a lot (and I always go for the cheapest tickets in the Cottesloe too). You could see the whole season for a bargaintastic £150 which does make me wonder why people still pay £40 to see dreary West End revivals. Or indeed complaining about the NT  - the worst thing that could happen is you waste £10 and have a boring couple of hours which will hardly break the bank.

#6 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

There is certainly a lot I would like to see in that season, but will give the Much Ado a miss.  Zoe Wanamaker isn't one of my favourite actresses anyway and I too have too many fond memories of more appealing Beatrice/Benedick pairings, including the recent RSC production. I'm pretty old myself, so am usually fairly anti-ageist, but surely she is way too old for that part and her friendship with Hero, etc to make sense.   Also think I'll give Alex Jennings in Present Laughter a miss.  Actually I'm still probably bearing a grudge from the NT production when he and Wanamaker bored me to tears - maybe I should get over it.

But am pleased they are bringing back Chatroom/Citizenship, which I was sorry to miss the first time around.  Rafta, Rafta and A Matter of Life and Death also appeal.  Don't know anything about Landscape with Weapon, but some interesting people involved with that.

#7 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

Thanks josh- lots of new information, and lots more ways for me to spend my money!
The ones that jumped out at me were Oedipus and The Hothouse- I'll have to see those.
War Horse I don't remember much about, but I do remember thinking it was very good- will be interested to see what they make of it.

I've never seen Much Ado About Nothing, so a version with Simon Russell Beale involved has certainly made my ears prick up!

#8 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:45 AM

Please don't put me down as a pure musical theatre fanatic - in fact I shall be trying to see as many of these productions at the NT as possible over the next year but how come a musical hasn't been announced?

Isn't this an annual part of the season or is it not that regular?
"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#9 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

Trevor Nunn used to do musicals when he was the boss but they've not been a regular feature since Hytner took over.

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:56 AM

Thanks for that list, looks v good. But as others are, am a bit worried about Zoe Wanamaker in Much Ado. I can see SRB pulling it off with his superb comic timing and let's face it , he can act anything. She, on the other hand always seems rather one note to me. I'll go to see SRB and I love the play. The recent RSC Much Ado will be hard to beat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users