28 replies to this topic

#21 coated peanuts

coated peanuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:31 PM

I only really fancied War Horse and A Matter of life and death. Will see what reviews are like before plumping for the others or not?

I wasn't too sure whether I wanted to see all of them, but for 10 I didn't feel I'll be loosing out if one or two of them are pants. I'd be a bit cross if all 5 turned out to be tedious, but I can't imagine the NT to get it that wrong.

#22 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(josh @ Feb 22 2007, 06:21 PM) View Post
It just means you can't use the NTs new booking system of when you click on the individual seats you want from a plan of the auditorium.
They don't use this new system in the Cottesloe, I suspect because there isn't a fixed seating arrangment in there and so they haven't made the plans to be able to.

Yes, but what I've never understood is this shyness the NT have always had about revealing the Cottesloe's various seating plans. They've never included it in their brochures and they don't include it in the select-your-seat function on the website. Yes, the configuration changes, but it's fixed for any one given show and they must by definition have a seating plan to work from when allocating seats in response to phone and written applications. So why not just upload that plan for each production? These days they mostly seem to be end-stage with a few minor tweaks. I accept I might be missing some technical aspect that governs their inability to do this so will happily be corrected if necessary, but I notice that the Barbican manages to retain the seat-selection function for occasions when the Pit and main theatre change their configurations.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#23 Guest_thecrucible_*

Guest_thecrucible_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:49 AM

In terms of Zoe Wanamaker (sp.?!) being too old for Beatrice, the most memorable Much Ado I've ever seen was a few years ago with Harriet Walter and Nicholas le Prevost - both comparable in age to the actors cast in the NT production. The middle aged Benedick and Beatrice added so much poignancy to the roles as well as making more sense of their polished wit in comparison to the immaturity of Claudio and Hero. So I think Zoe and Simon Russell Beale are great casting - not necessarily an immediately obvious couple but I'll be intrigued to see it. It's funny that there are quite a few Much Ados popping up this year - it must be its turn again!

#24 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:33 AM

There was a production a few years ago with Felicity Kendal and Alan Bates who were both middle-aged. Why should love affairs only be for the young?

#25 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

On the subject of online booking at the Cottesloe, I partially take back what I said earlier - when it's in its 'normal' end-stage configuration the seat selection facility is there, but not when the configuration changes. The NT B.O. tells me this is being looked at with an aim to having it for all Cottesloe productions.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#26 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

I thought that the NT was supposed to be doing the new David Hare play in 07. Has this now been put back?Does anyone know what is going on?

#27 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(MaxCady @ Apr 3 2007, 04:48 PM) View Post
I thought that the NT was supposed to be doing the new David Hare play in 07. Has this now been put back?Does anyone know what is going on?

I read today (I think Guardian) that Mendes is hoping to bring it over this year. It was in article about his Old Vic Brooklyn Academy of Music partnership. Would it still come to the NT while NH is charge after the fuss of Stuff Happens? Perhaps now the Old Vic?

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#28 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Feb 23 2007, 12:33 PM) View Post
There was a production a few years ago with Felicity Kendal and Alan Bates who were both middle-aged. Why should love affairs only be for the young?

I agree. What in the text suggests they are NOT middle-aged ? Two other productions where they were middle-aged or at least not young were the Donald Sinden/Judi Dench/John Barton one (British Raj setting) and Derek Jacbi/Sinead Cusak/Terry Hands one (English Civil War). Though the last RSC production (Havana setting) was excellent, I actually thought Benedik was a little too young to be a "confirmed bachelor".

#29 achilles

achilles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(plutoanddragons @ Feb 22 2007, 08:08 PM) View Post
Aah I see, I've only been in there once for The Seafarer and I used the phoneline.

Interesting to see how many of those directors were given their big breaks at the Royal Exchange in Manchester.
That seems a darn good season to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users