19 replies to this topic

#1 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

So Orlando Bloom is apparently staring in the west end this summer in this play according to the bbc. Anyone know anything about the play or what part he might play? Was wondering if he was going to try something stretching and would be worth seeing?

#2 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(peggs @ May 23 2007, 01:17 PM) View Post
So Orlando Bloom is apparently staring in the west end this summer in this play according to the bbc. Anyone know anything about the play or what part he might play? Was wondering if he was going to try something stretching and would be worth seeing?

Always try to see what 'film stars' make of a part on stage, so I've already booked! Particularly those actors who have little or no stage experience. Still have vivid memories of Christopher Reeve being acted off the stage by Dame Wendy Hiller, in The Aspern Papers. Have to admit that Kurt Russell got away with it, just, in The Postman Always Rings Twice.

#3 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(whittlebot @ May 27 2007, 07:22 PM) View Post
Always try to see what 'film stars' make of a part on stage, so I've already booked! Particularly those actors who have little or no stage experience. Still have vivid memories of Christopher Reeve being acted off the stage by Dame Wendy Hiller, in The Aspern Papers. Have to admit that Kurt Russell got away with it, just, in The Postman Always Rings Twice.

Orlando trained at Arts Ed so should be able to perform well onstage, although I often wonder if working in film/tv for a certain amount of time changes performers talent when they come back to the stage.

Obviously, some great examples of that NOT happening are Judi Dench & Maggie Smith who can captivate an audience both onstage and onscreen.

#4 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(bananafrit @ May 27 2007, 07:57 PM) View Post
Orlando trained at Arts Ed so should be able to perform well onstage, although I often wonder if working in film/tv for a certain amount of time changes performers talent when they come back to the stage.

Obviously, some great examples of that NOT happening are Judi Dench & Maggie Smith who can captivate an audience both onstage and onscreen.

Sure it was Simon Callow who said every stage-trained actor, sooner or later, will feel the need to return to the stage however much film or tv work they have done. Ian McKellen, Derek Jacobi, Maggie Smith, Judy Dench...

#5 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:15 AM

Where did you buy your ticket from Whittlebot? I can't find any for sale anywhere on the internet.

#6 bananafrit

bananafrit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE(peggs @ May 29 2007, 09:15 AM) View Post
Where did you buy your ticket from Whittlebot? I can't find any for sale anywhere on the internet.

http://www.theambassadors.com/dukeofyorks/sp_p3809.html

#7 hedge_hog

hedge_hog

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

Booking came all of a sudden, as did the confirmed news this weekend. Is this getting publicity at all? Maybe they simply don't want the same teen hype as Equus I guess, but what's with opening the show in four weeks..? I find this a bit odd, really.

#8 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(bananafrit @ May 29 2007, 09:43 AM) View Post

I rang the Duke of York Theatre, my booking was  made through ATG.

#9 Ella

Ella

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:21 AM

I'm going to see this, it sounds good.  Regarding Orlando Bloom, I've never really rated him much as an actor, in the films I've seen of his, but I'm very curious to see him in the stage, knowing he had a lot of theatre training.  Maybe this is where he excels and he may surprise us all, who knows.  Plus, the wonderful Tim Healy is in it, and he's one of my favourite actors, so I'm very happy about that! smile.gif

#10 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

I thought he trained at The Guildhall? Either way he got into a drama school somehow, so maybe he'll surprise us all with an amazing performance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users