• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 foxford

foxford

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

It was the first night of Philistines at the National last night - did anyone go? I presume it's very solid as Howard Davies is directing...

#2 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(foxford @ May 24 2007, 11:25 AM) View Post
It was the first night of Philistines at the National last night - did anyone go? I presume it's very solid as Howard Davies is directing...

Solid is a good description IMO. Not always the perfs I was expecting, and it would be nice if Ruth Wilson could make her "dismount" a little less obvious (a *tiny* "complaint", I know), but there was nothing i found massively disagreeable.

#3 SianPhilips

SianPhilips

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

i'm really looking forward to this. Would love some more reviews from anyone who has seen it.........

#4 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

I saw the final preview last night and really enjoyed it, atmospheric and well-paced, 2 hours and 50 mins that went quickly. All the performances are good but Ruth Wilson in particular stood out (but she needs to project a bit more in some scenes).

Amo, sorry if I'm being a bit dim here, but what did you mean about her 'dismount'?
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#5 kitson

kitson

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:11 AM

I saw it on Monday and thought it was quite wonderful.  A play I didn't know - but a fantastic translation by Andew Upton and wonderful perfromances without exception.

#6 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

Superb! Interesting use of staging and set design, nice use of music and lighting and some brillant acting, I loved this. Was one of those plays you don't want to finish.
Have we discovered what the 'dismount' is yet?

#7 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(peggs @ Jun 12 2007, 11:03 AM) View Post
Have we discovered what the 'dismount' is yet?

Could it mean when she steps off the descending scenery at the beginning? I suppose we won't know unless Amo comes back and explains.

Seeing it again tonight, followed by Q&A with the company. I've never been to one of those post-show events at the NT before.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#8 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Jun 12 2007, 02:47 PM) View Post
Could it mean when she steps off the descending scenery at the beginning? I suppose we won't know unless Amo comes back and explains.

Seeing it again tonight, followed by Q&A with the company. I've never been to one of those post-show events at the NT before.

Yeah, that's what I thought he meant by 'dismount' as well. I didn't notice it at all so I guess she has made it less obvious since you saw it Amo!

I thought this production was great, loved the performances and found it really enthralling. Would be interesting to hear anything you remember from the q&a, Backdrifter. smile.gif
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#9 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

Oh that dismount! I just sat wondering how they'd managed to do it.
Yeah let us know of anything interesting that came up Backdrifter.

Am I the only one who gets funny looks when they've tried to explain why this production was so enjoyable? Apart from on these boards no one I speak to ever seems to get how going to see something that isn't light hearted with a happy ending could be anything other than depressing. Yet whilst this play clearly isn't a barrel of laughs [though has very black comedic moments] I came out very upbeat at the quality of what I'd seen rather than the need to go and throw myself in the Thames. Clearly different things will appeal to different people but since lots of straight plays are very successful lots of people must enjoy them, it's just that I only seem to know people who would only ever consider going to musicals or comedies. I'm not explaining myself very well but the reaction I get to my enthusiasm is that I must enjoy watching people being miserable or something. Am rambling and getting off topic so will stop, sorry.

#10 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(peggs @ Jun 13 2007, 03:00 PM) View Post
Oh that dismount! I just sat wondering how they'd managed to do it.
Yeah let us know of anything interesting that came up Backdrifter.

Am I the only one who gets funny looks when they've tried to explain why this production was so enjoyable? Apart from on these boards no one I speak to ever seems to get how going to see something that isn't light hearted with a happy ending could be anything other than depressing. Yet whilst this play clearly isn't a barrel of laughs [though has very black comedic moments] I came out very upbeat at the quality of what I'd seen rather than the need to go and throw myself in the Thames. Clearly different things will appeal to different people but since lots of straight plays are very successful lots of people must enjoy them, it's just that I only seem to know people who would only ever consider going to musicals or comedies. I'm not explaining myself very well but the reaction I get to my enthusiasm is that I must enjoy watching people being miserable or something. Am rambling and getting off topic so will stop, sorry.

I know what you mean! You feel uplifted by the quality of the acting/directing/writing which makes you enjoy something, even if it's not cheery and jazz handed.

I did find the first act a bit slow in Philistines, and I didn't like the section at the end where she talks about f*cking Pyotr (not 'cause I'm a prude, it just sounded rubbish!!). There are some great moments in this play though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users