6 replies to this topic

#1 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:22 PM

I had the good fortune to see the final matinee performance of Love Song yesterday, and I have to say im glad I did, it was a really plesent surprise.

I admit I saw it because of its cast and didnt really know what it was about - which actually is quite refreshing.

I loved the opening, it felt like the start of some sort of low budget Indie film, and the soundtrack throughout was great. It had a young vibe to it. The set was simple but effective.

The play ran at an hour and a half with no interval which was just the right length. with a cast of 4 (plus one guy who played a waiter). It tells the story of Beane, who is best described as an odd ball exiled from life. who after a bulglary one night at his flat, transforms into a happy and fullfilled guy in love with a girl called Molly. His renewed enjoyment in life is a surprise to his sister Joan and her husband Harry. Beanes new found love of life and Joans unraveling of the mystery surrounding her brothers new found happiness provide many great comic moments and in equal measure some truly touching and moving moments.

This is not, as I was expecting, a traditional romantic comedy, it is a play about love in different forms and the message of hope.

The high profile cast bring the play to life, although I have to say I was disappointed with Neve Campbell. Her part is quite small, but important, yet I found her acting to be quite wooden and you were aware you were watching 'Neve Campbell' playing Molly. Michael McKean gave an understated but great performance as Harry, with perfect comic timing.  However for me the play belongs to Kristen Johnston and Cillian Murphy. Kristen Johnston is one of those actresses with an instantly recognisable voice, and huge stage presence. She actually reminded me of Kathleen Turner.  Her ability to portray both the comedy and the more serious and moving scenes were flawless. You believed in her relationship with Beane.

This brings me on to last, but no means least, Cillian Murphy as Beane. His performance for me is one of the most moving, funny, and perfectly timed ive seen in a long time. I actually feel his performance (and possibly this play) is award worthy. He again has great stage presence, and the ability to really get into character, something Neve Campbell wasnt able to do.

The audience reaction was amazing, i was actually expecting a standing ovation the audience were so raptuous. Its a shame this play has now closed but im very glad i discovered it at the last minute.

#2 Guest_Ratface_*

Guest_Ratface_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

Saw this on the back of the reviews and left after an hour. Bored to tears. I think it takes a certain type of person who watches a lot of American 'comedy' and drama to like this.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

NT

#4 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(Marius @ Feb 18 2007, 08:22 PM) View Post
I had the good fortune to see the final matinee performance of Love Song yesterday, and I have to say im glad I did, it was a really plesent surprise.

I admit I saw it because of its cast and didnt really know what it was about - which actually is quite refreshing.

I loved the opening, it felt like the start of some sort of low budget Indie film, and the soundtrack throughout was great. It had a young vibe to it. The set was simple but effective.

The play ran at an hour and a half with no interval which was just the right length. with a cast of 4 (plus one guy who played a waiter). It tells the story of Beane, who is best described as an odd ball exiled from life. who after a bulglary one night at his flat, transforms into a happy and fullfilled guy in love with a girl called Molly. His renewed enjoyment in life is a surprise to his sister Joan and her husband Harry. Beanes new found love of life and Joans unraveling of the mystery surrounding her brothers new found happiness provide many great comic moments and in equal measure some truly touching and moving moments.

This is not, as I was expecting, a traditional romantic comedy, it is a play about love in different forms and the message of hope.

The high profile cast bring the play to life, although I have to say I was disappointed with Neve Campbell. Her part is quite small, but important, yet I found her acting to be quite wooden and you were aware you were watching 'Neve Campbell' playing Molly. Michael McKean gave an understated but great performance as Harry, with perfect comic timing.  However for me the play belongs to Kristen Johnston and Cillian Murphy. Kristen Johnston is one of those actresses with an instantly recognisable voice, and huge stage presence. She actually reminded me of Kathleen Turner.  Her ability to portray both the comedy and the more serious and moving scenes were flawless. You believed in her relationship with Beane.

This brings me on to last, but no means least, Cillian Murphy as Beane. His performance for me is one of the most moving, funny, and perfectly timed ive seen in a long time. I actually feel his performance (and possibly this play) is award worthy. He again has great stage presence, and the ability to really get into character, something Neve Campbell wasnt able to do.

The audience reaction was amazing, i was actually expecting a standing ovation the audience were so raptuous. Its a shame this play has now closed but im very glad i discovered it at the last minute.

#5 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

You know, I gotta agree with Marius on this one. I saw it on the final Friday night (so the night before Marius and felt the same way)-Yes, Oh my God!  Kristem Johnston does reming me of Kathleen Turner- I couldn't quite put my finger on it!

We were lucky enough to have Sir Richard Attenborough in the audience with his wife this night as well- bonus!

QUOTE(Marius @ Feb 18 2007, 08:22 PM) View Post

#6 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

I saw it a few weeks ago and loved it! It was uplifting and generally well performed. I liked its ambiguity but also that it didn't make my brain hurt at the same time. I agree with you Marius about Neve Campbell, I found her quite disappointing, but for a random choice of play on a weeknight I was generally very happy!

#7 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

As I got a 42 ticket for 17.50 and as I was sitting behind Kenneth Cranham I shouldn't really complain BUT I thought it was average at best and totally aimed at the American market.
Which way did he go McGill?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users