#21 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

Interesting panel. Good mix of talent.

Charlotte Church is a good choice IMO because of her vocals and because of her age. Sheila Hancock is going to be excellent, love the woman and I am undecided on John.

Glad to see the back of Van Outen though, she really did annoy me. And I can't say that I was ever overly fussed about Barrowman either, he was too interested in taking in the attention of the auditionees and onto him

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#22 Guest_garlands_*

Guest_garlands_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(johartuk @ Feb 19 2010, 12:48 PM) View Post
Just to clarify something, as there seems to be a lot of confusion about the issue of Denise being 'dumped' from the panel for being pregnant.  That's not what she was complaining about!  Her issue was not being 'dumped' from the panel (had that been the case, there wouldn't have been an issue), it was having a BBC Bod telling her that her pregnancy was a problem!  

To also clarify, Lee Mead was single when he started his relationship with Denise (who was also single).  Unfortunately, some people don't want to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

What was the problem with her pregnancy then? What could it be? 'The problem is you are pregnant.' Is that all that was said?

I think you mean that Lee Mead was single publicly when he started with Denise. I note that before-hand the shy Mr Mead did some Outen-like reports for the papers about his love-life ending with one about how he would like to date DVO. Soon after he did just that and now he doesn't do them any more!! So it was an attempt to manipulate the public through the press into believing their 'story'.

#23 Guest_Guest_stephen_*_*

Guest_Guest_stephen_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE(Allie @ Feb 19 2010, 05:02 PM) View Post
Interesting panel. Good mix of talent.

Charlotte Church is a good choice IMO because of her vocals and because of her age. Sheila Hancock is going to be excellent, love the woman and I am undecided on John.

Glad to see the back of Van Outen though, she really did annoy me. And I can't say that I was ever overly fussed about Barrowman either, he was too interested in taking in the attention of the auditionees and onto him

Totally agree with you. On all the 'Maria', 'Joseph' and 'Nancy' shows, did any of the auditionees really find Denise Van Outen as a kind of role model and someone who's footsteps they would like to follow in. She hadn't set the West End alight before these shows and hasn't done since (yes, 'Chicago', but not groundbreaking really). She is still more know for her loud Friday night TV show and assisting Johnny Vaughan on breakfast radio. And I think we're all forgetting that the show is not about searching for a judge anyway!

#24 VelmaMaureen

VelmaMaureen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

That was not who I expected to be on the panel! I think they all have the potential to be good judges in their own way, but I would have really liked Liza to have been on the panel. I know that it was never going to realistically happen, but I can dream...

I liked the old panel, except for Barry Humphries.

#25 Guest_barrybabe_*

Guest_barrybabe_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(Guest_stephen_* @ Feb 19 2010, 08:57 AM) View Post
No, but they are looking for someone with vocal ability, and Charlotte Church is a singer having sold millions of albums, do you get the connection?

I'm glad they've got Charlotte, she will really speak her mind and be much better than Denise VO. Over the Rainbow? She's over the hill more like!!!

#26 Guest_Hanx_*

Guest_Hanx_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

I think the panel will be good smile.gif

Will miss Denise and John though. As far as I can see she only answered a question the anti-BBC Daily Fail asked her when she was at an event.

#27 Guest_HobNob_*

Guest_HobNob_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

I'm really pleased that John Partridge is going to be a judge.  I'm not going to jump the gun and say that he's going to be fantastic at it, but I'm eager to see how he does.  I think he's great.

As for the other two... Not particularly bothered.

#28 Guest_fuzzer_*

Guest_fuzzer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

I feel sorry for Denise. What will she do for work now? She can't go on playing the brassy Essex girl forever. These reality shows really gave her career a very big boost. I think she's be good in Eastenders.

#29 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE(Guest_stephen_* @ Feb 19 2010, 08:57 AM) View Post
No, but they are looking for someone with vocal ability, and Charlotte Church is a singer having sold millions of albums, do you get the connection?

He's also looking for a soprano  and given there are lots of people in the West End who could play Dorothy and several off the other ALW shows, he's probably looking for someone at least as young or even younger now  than for Nancy. Charlotte the child star can comment on those aspects as well as actually sing the thing herself.

#30 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 20 2010, 01:58 AM) View Post
He's also looking for a soprano  and given there are lots of people in the West End who could play Dorothy and several off the other ALW shows, he's probably looking for someone at least as young or even younger now  than for Nancy. Charlotte the child star can comment on those aspects as well as actually sing the thing herself.

A very good point. Jodie and Kerry are both 30, and I would never imagine a Dorothy being as old as that. Nancy it was sort of expected, which was why in my opinion, the younger girls didn't really stand a chance. But Dorothy is a perfect opportunity for a younger girl to break through. Especially with the rising cost and competitive-ness for drama schools.

I think Charlotte is an excellent choice, she's the right age to connect with the girls and she certainly has the vocal ability to back up her points which is more than Van Outen had.

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users