#461 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Apr 20 2010, 06:07 AM) View Post
They probably are. The difficulty here is that the stage school types are the only ones with the experience to actually be ... well, competent. And you can guess who'll be the first to whine when the audience votes through someone with no experience and stamina, only to find that her voice gives out and she's off work more than on.

I think you are absolutely right. The stage school types like Connie and Lee are proof of that. But they are selling a misconception. Untrained Jo and Josephine Bloggs don't stand a chance. OK some of the 'losers' have done exceptionally well but did ALW really want to take a chance on them?

#462 emkay

emkay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 20 2010, 02:34 AM) View Post
Danielle has a rubbish song yet again!!

If you're talking about the song that's been spoiled for this Saturday, I disagree (more detailed comments below):

Spoiler

#463 Rosie

Rosie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with music- playing the oboe, singing and composition.<br />Anything to do with musicals!

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE(Allie @ Apr 19 2010, 10:03 PM) View Post
If Stephanie could just tone everything down a little bit, I think she'd be a perfect Dorothy

I don't quite know what to make of Stephanie. Sure she's talented, and a good dancer, but I find her dancing really over the top. I'm no dance expert, but I just feel that everything's really forced and not natural at all, and I think that everytime I see her dancing. She always seems to do everything bigger than all the others. Is that a good thing or not? Maybe, as you say, if she just toned it down a bit, she could be really good and possibly a worthy winner

Sophie I'm also confused by. I loved her week 1 but she's not been very good since then. Maybe it is nerves, as others have suggested, and perhaps she'd be better off as ensemble rather than as a leading lady.

I was surprised Danielle was in the bottom two as I thought she was starting to edge ahead of all of the others, particular in the eyes of the panel. She wasn't as good this week though. Hopefully she'll come back stronger. I still think Lauren is great and deserves her good comments. So what if she's confident, she's very talented and would make a very good Dorothy and reliable leading lady!  And Steph is certain to have a career after this even if its not Dorothy. She really is showing herself off fantastically!

#464 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3330 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

Anyone else see the video interview with ALW when he was asked questions about over the rainbow?

One of the Questions was 'Will you do another programme after this?'

His awnser was roughly-

I think the if we did it needs to be with a charactor that the public can relate to and imagine someone in the role.
Possibly My Fair Lady is on people could and possibly Phantom of the opera.

#465 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Lots of people saying Steph is "totally wrong for Dorothy" without saying why. So why? Because she's black? Yawn.

#466 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

Nothing at all to do with the colour of her skin. It's her voice that isn't right, it's a wonderful voice but it's not for Dorothy.

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#467 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

Why, what does Dorothy sound like? Judy Garland?

#468 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Apr 21 2010, 04:30 PM) View Post
Why, what does Dorothy sound like? Judy Garland?

you are very aggressive and confrontational!!  What a shame you had to go down the colour of the skin road.  Do you really think we are that sad?  I am personally a little offended and now don't feel that I have to explain to you why I don't think Steph is right for Dorothy.

#469 Guest_Guest_tom_*_*

Guest_Guest_tom_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:30 PM

Hi All

It seems that blogging on Over The Rainbow is on the increase, just come across  this one tonight.

http://wizardofozinlondon.co.uk/the-wizard-of-oz-blog/

Does anyone know with all this TV publicity, exactly when this will open and where? Sorry if this has been asked before!

Tom

#470 emkay

emkay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

I love Steph--she's my second favorite overall (after Danielle), but I don't think she's Dorothy either.  It's definitely not racial for me (I wanted Tasheka to be the wildcard), but more a style/persona thing.  She's too modern and poppy.  I think she would be great in more pop-type musicals or as a pop singer, but not as Dorothy.  She also seems a bit old for the part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users