• This topic is locked This topic is locked
509 replies to this topic

#471 Phantomb

Phantomb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

My money is on Lauren - the best voice in the competition and looks the part.
I can see the appeal in Danielle but there's not a lot of joy in her face.

Her and Sophie seem to look perpetually worried or disinterested.

#472 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:15 AM

allthatjazz, not just you but several others have said that Steph isn't "right" for Dorothy without saying why. I suspect it may be mainly because she's black and therefore doesn't meet their expectations about who "looks the part", whatever anyone says now, especially since the thread a while ago in which lots of people voiced their view that it wasn't appropriate for a BME actor to play Billy Elliot. If that is what people think (and there are many, many people out there who don't believe in colour-blind casting: I happen not to be one of them) then I believe they should be open about their reason for saying that Steph "just isn't Dorothy".

#473 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

I, personally think Steph looks too old to be Dorothy. I don't have a problem with her being black, her skin isn't very dark anyway. I think she's a fantastic performer who would make a great leading lady in a different musical. I think Danielle looks the part most as she's very young and innocent looking. I can also see Jenny, Sophie and Stephanie as Dorothy. This is just based on looks and not talent.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#474 Guest_DeeDee_*

Guest_DeeDee_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

Does Anybody Know What Stage School Bronte Has Got In ? xxxxx

#475 meerkat

meerkat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(DeeDee @ Apr 23 2010, 09:04 PM) View Post
Does Anybody Know What Stage School Bronte Has Got In ? xxxxx

More to the point does any one know whether she went throught a proper audition process and it was a coicindence that she got her letter of acceptance last week after all her recall auditions- or as I suspect ALW used his influence to get her a place.If so I would be interested to know which drama schools can be"bought". in this way. I have heard  a rumour that most drama schools want a variety in their cohorts so when they have got their quota of a certain type, they dont take any more- however talented people are at the audition process. Perhaps in return for funding/ bribery some of the schools always hold back some places for proteges.
Dont get me wrong- Bronte is very talented and she had been one of my favourites and if you read my review last year I commented that she was among a talented cast in the YMT production of a Winters Tale at Yvonne Gumby Theatre in Guildford- and I am pleased for her.

One of my favourites is Lauren as she has done her training and I have confidence she will have the stamina and experience to still be playing the part by the time the seats are reduced and I can watch it! Otherwise I would audition her for Nessarose.

I also like Steph- she has an Elphaba look about her- but they could do with turning her mike up a bit- I cant always hear her.

Danielle is growing on me and I look forward to seeing her develop .
They are my top 3 now Bronte has gone.

Another one of my gripes is the BBc pretending the Sunday night results show is live when we all know that it is recorded straight after the Sat night after the panel have changed outfits. I do hope Lauren didnt get into trouble when she mentioned on Sunday about the judges decision "tonight"
I know I could be a lion tamer,
I've always gotten along with cats

#476 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE(meerkat @ Apr 23 2010, 10:16 PM) View Post
More to the point does any one know whether she went throught a proper audition process and it was a coicindence that she got her letter of acceptance last week after all her recall auditions- or as I suspect ALW used his influence to get her a place.If so I would be interested to know which drama schools can be"bought" in this way.

I suspect the answer is "all of them". They're in it to make money, not to give the world the finest performances of the future, and it doesn't hurt them at all to occasionally base admissions on the amount of publicity they'll get, or even just the amount of plain old cash. It could be that the school took the decision itself.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#477 Guest_Finnite_*

Guest_Finnite_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(meerkat @ Apr 23 2010, 09:16 PM) View Post
More to the point does any one know whether she went throught a proper audition process and it was a coicindence that she got her letter of acceptance last week after all her recall auditions- or as I suspect ALW used his influence to get her a place.

Bronte had her place at drama school before the programme aired, they just didn't announce it until after she left. Glad that someone mentioned YMT; I saw A Winter's Tale in Guildford also and thought it was phenomenal. I was actually suprised more of the final 20 hadn't been members, given their level of talent and their VT's claiming a life-long love of musical theatre...I think Sarah from the wild-card group had been a member, but just those two. I think it's a brilliant organisation and a much better option for some of the younger ones to develop through than Stage School (as distinct from drama school).

#478 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Urp. Girls just wanna have singing lessons.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#479 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3300 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

Anyone know who got chucked tonight?

#480 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

I thought they were all pretty mediocre tonight. No-one was brilliant. Emilie again the weakest for me, and I'd say Steph was the best out of a bad lot.

In brighter news, the group number was much better than the shambles that was Buenos Aires

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users