#481 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(CaityGlinda @ Apr 23 2010, 04:38 PM) View Post
I, personally think Steph looks too old to be Dorothy. I don't have a problem with her being black, her skin isn't very dark anyway. I think she's a fantastic performer who would make a great leading lady in a different musical.

Same here.  I've said before that I don't think Steph is right for Dorothy and now I'm shocked to discover that some people are jumping to the conclusion that I don't think there should be a black Dorothy.  I've been presuming that her age is the most obvious thing to be held against her, and if I haven't been explicit it was because it seemed so obvious.  It is something that has been picked up on by the judges.

There might be some out there who think that way, but please don't lump us all together.

#482 allthatjazz

allthatjazz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I have the theatre bug!! My mission in life is to visit every theatre in london, which could take a while! My current favourites are Chicago, The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. <br /><br />I also enjoy reading and shopping.

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(Danube @ Apr 25 2010, 11:33 AM) View Post
Same here. I've said before that I don't think Steph is right for Dorothy and now I'm shocked to discover that some people are jumping to the conclusion that I don't think there should be a black Dorothy. I've been presuming that her age is the most obvious thing to be held against her, and if I haven't been explicit it was because it seemed so obvious. It is something that has been picked up on by the judges.

There might be some out there who think that way, but please don't lump us all together.

Ditto!  I am still quite offended that people that don't think Steph is right for Dorothy are pretty much being accused of racism.  I have explained this before but it seems I having to double justify my reasoning because of the colour of her skin (that can't be right either can it?).  I just feel that Steph isn't young and innocent enough to be Dorothy and to be honest I can't imagine that Dorothy would be her first choice if she had any other choice anyway.  I agree with the person that she would be a good Elphaba.  She is too much of a pop star to play an innocent and dreamy 14 year old girl.  I am not in anyway doubting her talent though, she is a fantastic singer and deserves something out of this.  I particularly like Stephanie and Danielle at the moment.  I think Emilie would be great too but that's probably not a popular opinion!

#483 Scarlett O'hara

Scarlett O'hara

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(allthatjazz @ Apr 25 2010, 04:39 PM) View Post
Ditto!  I am still quite offended that people that don't think Steph is right for Dorothy are pretty much being accused of racism.  I have explained this before but it seems I having to double justify my reasoning because of the colour of her skin (that can't be right either can it?).  I just feel that Steph isn't young and innocent enough to be Dorothy and to be honest I can't imagine that Dorothy would be her first choice if she had any other choice anyway.  I agree with the person that she would be a good Elphaba.  She is too much of a pop star to play an innocent and dreamy 14 year old girl.  I am not in anyway doubting her talent though, she is a fantastic singer and deserves something out of this.  I particularly like Stephanie and Danielle at the moment.  I think Emilie would be great too but that's probably not a popular opinion!

I completely agree. I think it is terrible that people can't say they think Steph is unsuitable for Dorothy without someone going down the racism route. I don't think she is suitable for Dorothy either, nothing to do with her skin colour though, I just think she looks too old and that her voice is too mature and diva-ish for Dotty. There are many other WE leading lady roles that she could play standing on her head.
I feel the exact same way about Lauren, IMO she also looks too old for the part and she comes across as too mature.

At the minute my favourites for the part are Stephanie and Danielle. I loved both performances last night but really don't think the producers are doing Danielle any favours by giving her an entrance like that!

I thought Emilie was once again totally out of tune and that her acting was beyond embarrassing. I really didn't get the part where she threw a mini tantrum towards the end of the song, I have heard people sing it better on karaoke night at my local! I do feel sorry for her though, she puts her heart and soul into it every week and who can blame her for trying to pursue her dream.

#484 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

On more than one occasion Sheila Hancock has remarked that an actor has to be able to take negative criticsm, and no doubt she has had her share of it in a long career in the theatre. But I wonder if any audition involves the cruelty of the prolonged agony perpetrated by Graham Norton, before announcing who will remain and who is likely to go. Standing there, trying to remain calm, while the mental torture goes on in front of millions of viewers, these young, talented and very hard-working girls do not deserve the nastiness meted out every weekend, in front of millions of viewers.

The sight of the tearful girls at the end, each week, always casts an unpleasant shadow on an otherwise lively evening.

And who decides what songs the girls sing? Surely not ALW himself. Most of the numbers not only have little to do with the theatre, let alone with Dorothy, but belong in some noisy disco. And yet the judges have the nerve to criticise the girls for their lack of emotion or drama, while they are having to perform songs that involve nothing more than the ability to shriek as loudly as possible.

I think Steph is one of the most talented of all the girls on the show, and probably has the loveliest voice of all, but I still cannot see her as Dorothy. Whatever happens, I am sure she will become a really big star in the future.

#485 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(Tintin @ Apr 26 2010, 07:50 PM) View Post
On more than one occasion Sheila Hancock has remarked that an actor has to be able to take negative criticsm, and no doubt she has had her share of it in a long career in the theatre. But I wonder if any audition involves the cruelty of the prolonged agony perpetrated by Graham Norton, before announcing who will remain and who is likely to go. Standing there, trying to remain calm, while the mental torture goes on in front of millions of viewers, these young, talented and very hard-working girls do not deserve the nastiness meted out every weekend, in front of millions of viewers.

Don't blame Norton - it's the show's producers who have decided on this format, and almost certainly have timed those pauses exactly. I think Norton is rather good with the girls, actually, when he's talking to them - better than in previous years. Doubtless because he now has a real appreciation of just how hard they have to work!

The sight of the tearful girls at the end, each week, always casts an unpleasant shadow on an otherwise lively evening.
Hmm. Thing is, it doesn't do them any harm with the voting public, who love to see this kind of thing.

And who decides what songs the girls sing? Surely not ALW himself. Most of the numbers not only have little to do with the theatre, let alone with Dorothy, but belong in some noisy disco. And yet the judges have the nerve to criticise the girls for their lack of emotion or drama, while they are having to perform songs that involve nothing more than the ability to shriek as loudly as possible.

Absolutely agree - but then this show is really an excuse to have pretty young girls singing on TV, and cute dogs doing tricks, it's not really about the role.

I think Steph is one of the most talented of all the girls on the show, and probably has the loveliest voice of all, but I still cannot see her as Dorothy. Whatever happens, I am sure she will become a really big star in the future.

This is the crux of the matter - no matter who gets the 'prize', what this show offers is a fabulous opportunity to kick-start a career, by getting tons of performing experience and some pretty good advice, and your face all over TV. That's the trade-off for going through the incredibly gruelling process. Several of these girls will get agents and work out of the experience that they would not have otherwise.

#486 Scarlett O'hara

Scarlett O'hara

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

I really enjoyed the show tonight! I thought all the girls really upped their game but I particularly loved Danielle's performance, for me it was the performance of the series and I didn't want it to end! I'm so glad they gave us the chance to see a different side to her as it was obvious she had so much more to give.
I'm not a fan of Mambo Italiano and it's a difficult song to sing but I thought her vocals, dancing, acting and comic timing were outstanding! I don't know if she'll win the part of Dorothy but she'll definitely go far, what a talented young girl!
I also loved Jessica tonight, thought her performance of Cabaret was phenomenal! am so pleased they gave her a decent song this week!

Wasn't too impressed by Sophie or Steph this week, they just didn't stand out for me.

#487 Phoebe-again

Phoebe-again

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

Is Kerry Ellis going to be performing tonight? Or was that just a rumour? Looking forward to the show anyhow!

Phoebe biggrin.gif

#488 My Dog's Name is Sally

My Dog's Name is Sally

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Kathryn2 @ Apr 27 2010, 11:53 AM) View Post
Don't blame Norton - it's the show's producers who have decided on this format, and almost certainly have timed those pauses exactly. I think Norton is rather good with the girls, actually, when he's talking to them - better than in previous years. Doubtless because he now has a real appreciation of just how hard they have to work!

Don't blame Graham, he dosen't know either.  In that recent TV special they did on the AWL shows, the name of which has left me at the moment, Graham said that during the infamous pause before anouning the winner of ADWD, he was waiting for the producers to tell him who the winner was through his ear phone.

#489 Scarlett O'hara

Scarlett O'hara

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

If Danielle doesn't win this then the public are mad! She is in a totally different league to Sophie. Sophie has a lovely voice and is very charismatic but she is a one trick pony. Danielle was stitched up big time tonight by being given a significantly lesser know song than the other two. She pulled it out of the bag though by proving that she can sing, dance and act and also has fantastic comic timing!

#490 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

I have backed Danielle from the start, but I must admit tonight Sophie performed better than ever. She has a very expressive face.
It was a strange choice of song for Danielle, but she did the best she could.

Is the chosen Toto only going to do one performance when the show is on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users