Over The Rainbow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
509 replies to this topic

#491 Guest_wicked fan_*

Guest_wicked fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(Montmartre @ May 22 2010, 07:51 PM) View Post
I have backed Danielle from the start, but I must admit tonight Sophie performed better than ever. She has a very expressive face.
It was a strange choice of song for Danielle, but she did the best she could.

Is the chosen Toto only going to do one performance when the show is on?

I always thought Danielle was the chosen one but tonight Sophie was just great, I thought she had the edge.  Sophie had a rough time through this competition and I wish her all the very best!

#492 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

Well I was right! I predicted Danielle would win this from the first live week! I posted my prediction on here - its counted and verified!

I thought Danielle did a great job tonight despite being given a duff song to sing 76 Trombones - what was that all about? She gave it her all though!

Sophie looked completely overwhelmed by it all - I wondered at one point if she was going to get through the show!

All the final girls will find work though  - it is a fabulous showcase and I'm sure we will see more of Lauren and Steff etc.

#493 Scarlett O'hara

Scarlett O'hara

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

Well done Danielle! I thought all three finalists were amazing tonight and I'm sure will all have long and sucessful careers in the West End but Dorothy is the perfect role for Danielle!
I would imagine Lauren will get snapped up straight away (if she hasn't already!) for a role more suited to her than Dorothy and probably more vocally demanding. After seeing her performance tonight I think she would make a good Cosette.
Sophie was outstanding tonight and has really improved over the series. However she did seem very nervous and still a bit unsure of herself so I think she would benefit from some training before she undoubtedly gets her leading lady role.

#494 Phoebe-again

Phoebe-again

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

Really happy with the result, so pleased for Danielle! Look forward to seeing lots of the other Dorothys being cast in other shows, I'm sure they'll all do so well. smile.gif

Phoebe biggrin.gif

#495 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

The right person definatly one, but to mirror previous posters, Sophie really was at the best we have seen her tonight.

Really looking forword to seeing this show on a West End scale and at one of my favortie theatres.

#496 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE(Montmartre @ May 22 2010, 08:51 PM) View Post
Is the chosen Toto only going to do one performance when the show is on?

That's certainly the impression they've been giving.. The gala performance, though if the owner lived close enough (I have no idea), I guess its possible they will make Dave one of the three/four rotating Totos for some of the run. Least this way the dog has only one chance to get it badly wrong and it won't be on press night that the pooch runs off stage!

#497 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

I am very glad that Danielle won. However good the other two are, and they certainly have a great future ahead of them, Danielle is not only the best all-round talent, but does have a very special quality, an enigmatic personality that Sheila Hancock mentioned a few weeks ago. I had not any intention of seeing the show before, especially on reading that - groan! groan! - ALW is writing some new songs for it (Why bother? It has a great score already), but I would be happy to see Danielle again.

Lauren showed that she would make a good Eliza Doolittle, if My Fair Lady was to have yet another revival, and I imagine she would be excellent in some of the Rodgers and Hammerstein shows.

I was sorry to see Jessica go a few weeks ago, although, like Lauren, she would not have made the ideal Dorothy. With her quirky personality, strong vocal and dance abilities, and Liza Minnelli looks, I am sure she will turn out to be a great musical star in the future.

Can anyone tell me the title of that lovely song that was sung by the ex-Dorothys last night? I don't remember Graham Norton telling us what it was, but then the noisy hysterical crowd may have made that impossible.

#498 Haz23

Haz23

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

It was Empire State of Mind by Alicia Keys. smile.gif

I'm so glad Danielle won. She thoroughly deserved it! She's been my favorite from the beginning and I'm really looking forward to seeing her as Dorothy in the Palladium!

Lauren and Sophie were brilliant. No doubt they're both going to be snapped up for something soon.
Broadway: Avenue Q; Newsies; The Phantom of the Opera.

London's West End: Wicked x3; War Horse; The Phantom of the Opera; Jersey Boys x3; Sister Act; Lend Me A Tenor; Betty Blue Eyes; Legally Blonde; Les Miserables x2; A Chorus Line; The Book of Mormon; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

UK Tour: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; Annie; Blood Brothers x2; We Will Rock You; Sister Act; South Pacific; Chicago; Starlight Express; Hairspray; Priscilla Queen of the Desert; Cats; Carnaby Street; Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; Ghost; Singin' in the Rain x2; Stomp.

#499 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

I'm thrilled Danielle won - but really thought Sophie was sneaking up on the rails there. She (Sophie) seemed to have all the breaks; the simpler & more dramatic songs, not a step of choreography and gorgeous dresses. She did very well, but I still maintain she is not of the standard of Danielle (or Lauren!)
ALW even drew attention to the fact that she had to work on her dancing so I thought it unfair to give her two numbers where she remained rooted to the spot!

Danielle was a worthy winner. My hearts sank when the awful 76 Trombones was announced, but she made a decent fist of it, and to do two heavily choreographed, slightly comic numbers was quite brave.

I think the important point to remember is that Danielle could easily have performed both of Sophie's songs brilliantly, but had Sophie been asked to do 76 Trombones or Mambo Italiano, both would have been dreadful.

Shame about Lauren, but I think that although she was a good all rounder, she didin't quite have the youthful innocence thing required for Dorothy. I'm sure she will do very well elsewhere though.

It will be fascinating to see what they all go on to do.

#500 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

The entire programme was engineered to make sure that Danielle won, and she did. I loved her at the beginning, went off her about 4 weeks ago and only got back into her when she sang Somewhere Over The Rainbow - which was beautiful. It just annoyed me that because she was the producers favourite, they gave her the best exposure, the best comments are the best editing - it was annoying.

It really had to be either Danielle or Sophie, and either would have made a great Dorothy. I think that Steph & Lauren are by far the most talented girls in this competition and I know that BOTH will walk into roles in the west end with ease now - and they deserve it. I'd pay seriously good money to see Steph in anything.

I thought it was hilarious that Emilie sang again, and she was still RUBBISH! [I'd forgotten how out of tune she really was].

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users