26 replies to this topic

#21 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

I'd be surprised if many fringe theatres can afford a full-time box office but  you can book online for the Finborough for about  £1. Hard to see what else they can do - it does cost a fair amount  to accept credit card bookings and they don't have the same economies of scale that a WE theatre has but a tiny place like that can't afford to have someone sitting by a phone. Same with the Landor (where the director/box office manager rings you up to confirm the booking)

#22 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Feb 19 2007, 10:38 PM) View Post
I'd be surprised if many fringe theatres can afford a full-time box office but  you can book online for the Finborough for about  £1. Hard to see what else they can do - it does cost a fair amount  to accept credit card bookings and they don't have the same economies of scale that a WE theatre has but a tiny place like that can't afford to have someone sitting by a phone. Same with the Landor (where the director/box office manager rings you up to confirm the booking)

Although, conversely, I generally find that fringe theatres do have someone sitting at the box office taking phone enquiries and bookings. It's the WE venues that now have centralised call centres. And, not too long ago, I've definitely had conversations with a box office person at the Finborough but I suppose they must have changed this quite recently.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#23 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

I agree the Almeida seems a bit cliquey these days too. Characteristics of this I'd highlight:

1) Many of the separate groups in the audience seem to know each other ("Oh hello Tarquin !!")
2) The social demographic is very uniform - all high-earning white upper-middle-class professionals, braying to each other at high volume whilst clutching glasses of white wine in the foyer - all expensively dressed too.
3) Many seem to be there for the "occasion" rather than being there for the play/production itself
4) The odd minor local celebrity appears in the audience
5) Effusive ill-informed praise for the production at the interval ("Oh it's MARVELLOUS isn't it ..... it's it little difficult to work out who is who though ....) often involving a claim of acquantance with one of the actors (or more often their parents).

#24 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

Sorry - I neglected to log in for that previous post.

#25 Brad

Brad

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:50 AM

Am I being stupid but surely Time ourt lists every fringe venue with a show running each week?

#26 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

anyone ever been to the Queen's at Hornchurch?
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#27 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Winn @ Feb 14 2007, 09:55 PM) View Post
One thing I find the fringe does suffer from more than larger houses is that there seem to be rather more people who think that everyone around them will be impressed if they talk about all the other shows they've seen, using that exaggerated clarity of speech people use when they're talking to be overheard. That annoys me. Anyone can walk into a theatre and buy a ticket. It's not an achievement worth boasting about.

I agree with this entirely- I don't get to many London fringe venues (It's a long way to go on my own, and I have enough difficultly persuading people to come with me to the West End!), but I went to see the RADA Beggar's Opera last year (don't know if that counts as fringe, but meh), and there was a group sat in front of me who just seemed to be listing the shows they'd seen recently, in the voice you very accurately described!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users