#1 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:24 AM

Hmmm... I enjoyed this at first but then found it increasingly clunky. There's a potentially compelling play about women in abusive relationships lurking in there somewhere but it's submerged beneath a sort of gruesome soap opera - Eastenders with rape, herpes and wife-beating. And some hamfisted dialogue.

My 1st visit to the Stratford East. It'll probably be my only visit. It's a lovely little auditorium, although oddly the stalls 2nd & 3rd rows drop lower than the front row. The audience were quite annoying, a number of noisy people and some shouting morons in the circle.

The food was nice, I had one of the Caribbean dishes but it was slow coming and the friendly staff got my order wrong. Tip - arrive early (by 5.30) to get a table in the bar/restaurant.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#2 Guest_Guest_smithers_*_*

Guest_Guest_smithers_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(The Suburbanite @ Feb 24 2010, 12:24 AM) View Post
Hmmm... I enjoyed this at first but then found it increasingly clunky. There's a potentially compelling play about women in abusive relationships lurking in there somewhere but it's submerged beneath a sort of gruesome soap opera - Eastenders with rape, herpes and wife-beating. And some hamfisted dialogue.

My 1st visit to the Stratford East. It'll probably be my only visit. It's a lovely little auditorium, although oddly the stalls 2nd & 3rd rows drop lower than the front row. The audience were quite annoying, a number of noisy people and some shouting morons in the circle.

The food was nice, I had one of the Caribbean dishes but it was slow coming and the friendly staff got my order wrong. Tip - arrive early (by 5.30) to get a table in the bar/restaurant.

#3 Guest_Guest_smithers_*_*

Guest_Guest_smithers_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

Oops, I wish there was an edit button somewhere around here..

I went to see this and would certainly agree about the annoying audience members - complete with someone shouting out 'Oooo that's my favourite!' after the line about lemon sole, a persistent, rustling carrier bag behind me, a very loud conversation and a mobile phone that someone had no idea how to turn off.

I enjoyed the play on the whole and thought the performances of Alison Newman and Vicky Alcock stood out. The way the play was broken into short scenes worked really well I thought - without it I think my interest would have waned, particularly towards the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users