Someone Who'll Watch Over Me(manchester)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

Has anyone seen this play yet? Is it or is new. I cant seem to find any info on it.

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

Is this the Frank McGuinness  play? It's been around awhile. Or do you mean this particular production?

#3 MaxCady

MaxCady

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:37 PM

I meant when to FG write this play

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

Well, if you check the link in my post above you'll find when it was first performed and it certainly can't have been written much earlier than that.

#5 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:18 PM

This play came over as an absolute cracker in the recent production at the New Ambassadors in London.

#6 Moose

Moose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

I've not seen the Manchester production so can't vouch for that but the play itself is wonderful, so you should definitely go and see it!

#7 Outrider

Outrider

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

Yes, it's quite old this play. Late 1980s/early 90s, I think.  

I suppose it's unintentionally become timely because of the Alan Johnston kidnap.

How odd that affair is turning out. So embarrassing for the BBC to have a reporter spelling out arguments under duress that he (and all the other self-deluded journalists like him) would put forward about Israel even if they haven't been kidnapped. Of course I wish him to be freed, but it's just dismaying that if Alan Johnston was making such arguments as a free man all he'd do is soften up the language a bit.

I suppose it would be ripe for a play but, then, apparently it's only the Americans and Israelis who ever get criticised when it comes to presenting different points of view on the Middle East on the British stage. Any arguments from the opposite spectrum are given a free pass, because they must be true. Mustn't they?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users