• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

The Lady From Dubuque is quite simply a feast of dramatic acting of the highest order, but every minute Maggie Smith was on stage, last Saturday evening, it was her my eyes were drawn to. A masterclass in movement, the inflections in her voice, she quietly and I am sure, without intention, took the Play to a higher level, and upstaged everyone else...and did others who have seen this extraordinary production, realise who she really was? For myself I think she was the Angel of Death. It is enough to say that when the Wife staggered across the Stage into the outstretched arms of the Lady, I wasn't the only person who surreptitiously dabbed away tears...  

Tears of impotent rage though, for the desecration of the Proscenium Arch in which ugly holes had been drilled to allow an equally ugly Lighting Gantry to be suspended in front of the Royal Coat of Arms! Surely this was completely unnecessary and sacrilege in this, London's most beautiful Theatre! At the end of the Play, I sought out the Manager and asking for an explanation, was blandly told that he was sure there was a good artistic reason for this act of vandalism, but that he would make certain the holes would be plugged when the hideous lights were taken down! Who ARE these people charged with the privilege of safeguarding our theatres!

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(whittlebot @ Jun 4 2007, 09:23 PM) View Post
The Lady From Dubuque is quite simply a feast of dramatic acting of the highest order, but every minute Maggie Smith was on stage, last Saturday evening, it was her my eyes were drawn to. A masterclass in movement, the inflections in her voice, she quietly and I am sure, without intention, took the Play to a higher level, and upstaged everyone else...and did others who have seen this extraordinary production, realise who she really was? For myself I think she was the Angel of Death. It is enough to say that when the Wife staggered across the Stage into the outstretched arms of the Lady, I wasn't the only person who surreptitiously dabbed away tears...  

Tears of impotent rage though, for the desecration of the Proscenium Arch in which ugly holes had been drilled to allow an equally ugly Lighting Gantry to be suspended in front of the Royal Coat of Arms! Surely this was completely unnecessary and sacrilege in this, London's most beautiful Theatre! At the end of the Play, I sought out the Manager and asking for an explanation, was blandly told that he was sure there was a good artistic reason for this act of vandalism, but that he would make certain the holes would be plugged when the hideous lights were taken down! Who ARE these people charged with the privilege of safeguarding our theatres!

This is the Theatre Royal Haymarket we're talking about ? London's most overpriced and audience-unfriendly theatre ? I take it you were in the stalls otherwise all you would have glimpsed of The Dame would have been the top of her head proceeding ant-like across the distant stage. Seats are uncomfortable too. I saw Donald Sinden's bald patch play Uncle Vanya there once - never again.

#3 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

yes and wrong all over the place! Been going to the theatre for over 30 years so I know the inside of ALL of 'em. If you want to REALLY be ripped off, look at the prices for some musicals. Unfriendly! must be cos you project a hostile personality, and no I was'nt in the Stalls but the front row of the Dress Circle as always. Never ever sit in the Stalls as you spend the evening looking up the noses of the actors and never have a Box. Every time the action moves extreme right or left, you can see the patrons nearly falling out to see what's going on! and the seating...was re-upholstered recently, I suggest you forget about theatre, buy a tub of popcorn and go to the movies instead.

#4 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE(whittlebot @ Jun 6 2007, 08:27 PM) View Post
yes and wrong all over the place! Been going to the theatre for over 30 years so I know the inside of ALL of 'em. If you want to REALLY be ripped off, look at the prices for some musicals. Unfriendly! must be cos you project a hostile personality, and no I was'nt in the Stalls but the front row of the Dress Circle as always. Never ever sit in the Stalls as you spend the evening looking up the noses of the actors and never have a Box. Every time the action moves extreme right or left, you can see the patrons nearly falling out to see what's going on! and the seating...was re-upholstered recently, I suggest you forget about theatre, buy a tub of popcorn and go to the movies instead.

30 years - not quite as long as me.

So, we are building up a nice list aren't we ?: never sit in the stalls, never sit in a box, never sit in the upper circles and gallery. What a marvellous theatre it is, and such good value for money for anyone mistaken enough to sit in those sections.

#5 MarieMJS

MarieMJS

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:2D/3D animation, cinema, books, plays, tap dancing, etc :D

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:34 AM

Just to go back to the topic of beautiful Maggie, I saw the play on friday night, and it was absolutely brilliant. I have to admit, even if I'm just an humble theater lover, I just don't get all the hatred that was written by critics when it began some weeks ago, it was a real delight seeing this amazing ensemble cast, and Maggie was fantastic in it, she had a fabulous interaction with the other actors, and the audience.
A great great memory, and a play that I won't forget!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users