Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:11 PM

I went to see this over the weekend - it was my first ever visit to the Open Air. 15 years or so as a regular theatregoer, and I'd never been there until now. I wasn't sure a dark play like this would come across well in bright afternoon sunshine but it worked and I really enjoyed it. They've used a modern warfare setting and the set is made up of cargo containers. The weird sisters were very sensual and quite sexy. One of them (Olivia Darnley) is the cutest weird sister I've seen.

I was happy with my first visit and I'd go again, in fact I probably will this season, to see one of the musicals as a nice contrast.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#2 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

I can really advise going to an evening perfomance - I know it's a bit of a trek back to the station but everyone's going the same way so you can't really get lost. If you have a fine evening, a picnic on the grass before hand, a bottle of wine at the ready during the show and a good performance, it's a magical way to spend an evening. The lighting effects for the Dream are always lovely and the Boyfriend (with its party at the end) is absolutely delightful.

#3 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:43 AM

Definitely agree about going to an evening performance at the Open Air. It's magical there at dusk. And parking is always free and easy on the inner circle after six o'clock, so it's one of those rare cases (for London at least) where going by car is better than the train.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#4 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

Those are good useful comments - thanks. (Except the one about picnicking on the grass - not my thing). I'll definitely make my next visit an evening one. Probably The Boy Friend.

I didn't find the walk to the tube too bad at all, only 5 mins or so and pretty straightforward.

The staff were all really nice, friendly and helpful. I liked that the place doesn't shout at you - it's not overly branded and in fact the sunhats, macs etc that you can buy are, I think, completely unbranded. The covered bar area is lovely and the food, although I didn't have it this time, looked good (I will try it next time) and reasonably priced.

Seeing cast make entrances and exits through bushes was very appealing. Also, the entire arena was used quite well - some action taking place on the grass slopes on either side, some entrances/exits via the stepped aisles, the sisters sometimes to be found lurking in various places around the whole arena during scenes not featuring them. Is that sort of thing normal for this venue - using all the different areas?
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#5 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Jun 6 2007, 03:29 PM) View Post
Seeing cast make entrances and exits through bushes was very appealing. Also, the entire arena was used quite well - some action taking place on the grass slopes on either side, some entrances/exits via the stepped aisles, the sisters sometimes to be found lurking in various places around the whole arena during scenes not featuring them. Is that sort of thing normal for this venue - using all the different areas?

I think the grass slopes at the sides are used lots. Although during last years sell out run of The Boyfriend I did notice picnic rugs and people using it for that. For this show I think they only used the arena once - Act 2 when Tony is chased by a policeman.

I find Regents Park has great vibe to it. On Monday we had live jazz and during the interval. At the start of summer everyone is so excited to be outside and eating picnic food.

It is also really magical watching the sunset especially in a piece which starts off light and is dark by the end i.e. Pirates, Pinafore and Boyfriend.

I do find lighter pieces work better there i.e. Dream compared to the recent Scottish plan, although I still enjoyed it.

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users