#12 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Jun 5 2007, 05:06 PM) View Post
This could be a tremendous season for them.  Here's the press release.

[post="http://www.oldvictheatre.com/pdf/pressrelease_season07-08"]Old Vic season[/post]

(link doesn't work. It's at www.oldvictheatre.com - click on Season 2007/2008 announced).

All About My Mother, then Stephen Fry's Cinderella (press release is promising about this), then Mamet's Speed-the-Plow with Spacey, and then, best of all, Hamlet and The Tempest with Stephen Dillane, directed by Sam Mendes. I'm really looking forward to seeing Dillane's Prospero. Who saw his Hamlet first time round? - I didn't, but I've heard great things about it from friends.

This looks like a good season, at last. Speed-the-Plow is well worth reviving, it was very funny at NT years ago.

#13 Outrider

Outrider

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

You missed out by not seeing the RB Hamlet, Josh. He was witty and beguiling when he was strong and nicely understated when he was sad. I can't stand wet, wimpy, wet fish Hamlets. I had to leave Wishwash's one at the interval. Such a shrieking bore. Why's the teddy been pulled out of the Brideshead remake he's in? Where's the quality acting to come from?

Come to think of it Alex Jennings is the only other Hamlet I've seen I liked - very funny. I have to say, though, that couldn't stand the Warchus production, it was full of silly gadgets and a video screen if I recall. He comes across as such a soulless director so often - well suited to Bored of the Rings I suppose.

#14 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

Is the SRB Hamlet being mentioned here the John Caird one at the NT? If so I loved that, I found it very atmospheric and beautifully lit. It might be my favourite Hamlet. The packing cases and the religious imagery worked very well.

Yes it is an interesting-looking OV season. The panto and the Mamet appeal. I just find it quite a pricey venue and I've never liked the auditorium. Are they still doing first 4 rows stalls U25s only? I've no problem with deals for U25s but I'd prefer it to be spread through the levels so some of us over-25s get a crack at front row.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#15 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Jun 6 2007, 02:25 PM) View Post
Was it obvious he was good then?
Funnily enough, not really. He did plenty of solid work but there was very little clue to the level he would achieve later. Miranda Richardson had just left and it was pretty obvious she was going places. But the guy in my year (I was a techie not an actor, however)who everyone reckoned would be a big star (I won't mention his name - Presumably he is still out there somewhere!) never did anything much after leaving. Just shows you never can tell!  rolleyes.gif

Sebastian

#16 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Jun 6 2007, 03:33 PM) View Post
Are they still doing first 4 rows stalls U25s only? I've no problem with deals for U25s but I'd prefer it to be spread through the levels so some of us over-25s get a crack at front row.

In most west end theatres I'd prefer it if they did the first 4 rows for the under 5 ft 2s only.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#17 Ella

Ella

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:18 AM

This looks like a great season ahead for the Old Vic, one of my favourite theatres.  I've already booked to see All About My Mother and Cinderella and will of course book for the other productions when the tickets go on sale.  All About My Mother sounds particularly interesting.  Roll on the autumn! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users