35 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:04 AM

The first ten minutes of this are a masterclass with Penelope Wilton and Deborah Findley doing their stuff. But I was disappointed with Ian McDiarmid because I couldn't see any depth, nothing to make me believe that these two women loved him passionately. They play the melodrama for laughs so the good moments shine through. I think from the calibre of the applause, the audience I was in, though mesemerised by the acting, was in fact a bit puzzled by the play. Incidentally, Harold Pinter and Antonia Fraser were sitting in front of me. He looked stern as ever!

#2 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:51 AM

I'm going to see this on 2nd March and am looking forward to it, but can imagine that all you say is true.  Penelope Wilton is one of my favourite actresses (the best Arkadina I've ever seen, wonder in the film 'Iris') and Deborah Findlay is also fantatic.  I've always thought McDiarmid was rather over-rated.  I've never seen Borkman performed so I am curious to see it.

Part of the fun at the Donmar is seeing the audience, isn't it?  Once Neil Kinnock and Glenys were just down the row from us.  When we went to Voyage Round My Father, John Mortimer was opposite us.  Suddenly it became meta-theatre.

#3 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:07 AM

The last time I saw this play it was with the fantastic Paul Scofield (possibly my favourite actor ever) and if I remember rightly Eileen Atkins and Vanessa Redgrave.  I'm not a fan of McDiarmid so I'll have to give this one a miss.

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

I'm told that I saw the Schofield production too but I can't remember a thing about it despite having the programme to remind me. Go on Skylight, I would love to know what you think of this one.  rolleyes.gif

#5 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

I love Deborah Findlay, like Penelope Wilton but can't get over the fact that McDiarmid sounds like he's got a mouth full of cotton wool...

#6 Guest_alexandra_*

Guest_alexandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

Exceptionally atmospheric production - seriously felt like I was in Norway in winter (don't give it away but I loved the snow effect in the last act! - felt very odd going out into mild grey London). I thought all the performances were excellent, including David Burke. And actually I could imagine the women loving JGB, by the end when he showed some sensitivity. He just needed a bit of warming up.  wink.gif

#7 Guest_Ben Who Knows_*

Guest_Ben Who Knows_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

I saw it Saturday too. Saw Mr Pinter! And indeed Sian Phillips.

I thought it was a stupendous production in every way. For years I've always felt, even with the well done Ibsens, that they're just a little bit dull and I find myself admiring rather than being involved. Not this time. Partly thanks to the terrific new translation and the pacing of it all, I found the whole thing engrossing- a domestic drama spilling later into a bigger theme rather than the Epic which I remembered from seeing Richard Eyre's production at the National ten years ago. I thought this was just wonderful. The only Ibsen I'd see again!

Anyway, well done to all involved. As ever, Grandage, Austin and Cork on top form.

#8 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:47 AM

I am seeing it soon. Iain M. is not the most obvious casting for JGB so I am intrigued to see what he makes of it. Paul Scofied was excellent in the role but IM is a bit more of a "character" actor in my view.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

NT

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

It was interesting to read the review in the Standard, N de Y who is usually wrong, actually hits the nail on the head this time - have a look and you'll see what I was trying to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users