John Gabriel Borkman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#11 Guest_Alexandra_*

Guest_Alexandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

No he didn't! Sorry Lynette, but the tendency to present subjective opinion as fact because one critic agrees with you has made me smile twice today.  First Jan Brock, who has slagged off Billington many times, implying she/he must be right about the Toby Stephens Hamlet because Billington apparently said the same thing, and now you doing the same with de Jongh. What you mean is "N de J, with whom I usually disagree, this time says exactly what I think too".  wink.gif

Billington, by the way, who loved JGB, really does hit the nail on the head about it.  tongue.gif

#12 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

What I said was "in this particular instance (and very unusually) my opinion was shared by none other than Michael Billington" which is exactly the formulation you are now recommending Lynette use - so why didn't you at least give me credit for that ?

My purpose in noting MB's views was to counter the comment that my opinion was "silly", not whether it was right or wrong, it is just my OPINION after all (I said that, but you selectively omitted that too).

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:33 PM

Okay Jan, to keep you happy here's your entire post:

"Of couse it is just my opinion - what else could it be ? But in this particular instance (and very unusually) my opinion was shared by none other than Michael Billington who said EXACTLY the same thing."

...from which it seemed to me (and still does) that you were seeking to clothe your opinion in legitimacy by referring to Billington agreeing with you. My point was that that doesn't mean your opinion wasn't silly - his might be silly too - and that I was amused that you were seeking to defend it by referring to a critic whose views you usually purport to despise. Not a huge point - just a smile.

Btw the Times and Telegraph critics loved JGB too (as well as Billington). I must be right about it then.   wink.gif

#14 Guest_Alexandra_*

Guest_Alexandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

Oh, that's me, for the avoidance of doubt.

#15 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

Oh, my opinions are always legitimate and don't need to be clothed in any way to make them so.

I think you are quibbling a little in your criticism here - it would be very tedious if every time anyone said anything here they had to preface it with "In my opinion ....". In future, if I say something like "Michael Billington has silly opinions" take it as read that I mean this not as a statement of scientific fact but only as a short-hand way of saying "In my opinion MIchael Billington has silly opinions".

On JGB, I think Deborah Findlay is a greatly underrated actress - she was a definitvely good Hedda Gabler many years ago (I doubt anyone here except me saw that production) but she does not seem to have been given her fair share of major roles since.

#16 Guest_Alexandra_*

Guest_Alexandra_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

That's not actually what I was saying, Jan, but never mind, it's not important. Agree about Deborah Findlay.

#17 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:35 AM

Saw this last night and was disappointed.  Loved the 'Wild Duck' last year and admire a number of the people involved with this production, but, no, it didn't work for me.  I don't believe the play itself is as engrossing as some of Ibsen's other plays, but the big problem was Ian McDiarmid.  He was a big zero in the middle of the production.  He is obviously clever and had thought about each line.  He then seemed to place a rather static 'reading' of each moment.  So as an audience you could see that he had decided to sneer on this line, or throw his head back on that, but without any real connection either with the other actors or with the arc of the characterisation.  There wasn't the charisma you might expect in a man who has captivated two women, nor the spontaniety to make his transformation at the end exciting or believable. The only thing he did which I really liked was when he refers to his friend's poor 'tragedy' and his delivery makes it clear that it could mean the tragedy of his life or the bad tragedy his friend has written, which McDiarmid delivers as a private joke which amuses him but escapes his friend.

Penelope Wilton and Deborah Findlay were excellent as always.  Was less sure about Spall, though his scenes did come as a welcome relief, rather comic, to the rest of the play.  The final scene change was striking.

Very few famous people in the audience, except Hugh Quarshie...

#18 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:19 PM

I have a ticket for a few weeks' time. Looking forward to it - I so want to see a production of this play that doesn't make the royal hash of it that Richard Eyre and Paul Scofield made between them a decade ago. Scofield's mannered performance in the Lyttelton was a disgrace: a look-at-me piece of eccentricity that was completely alien to Ibsen's character, and Eyre's direction was culpable in allowing him his head in a way that unbalanced the entire evening. The whole thing was topped off by a clumsy and distracting raked-wedge design.

(Sorry Skylight. Clearly we see things differently all too often.)

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#19 plutoanddragons

plutoanddragons

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:21 PM

Could someone tell me how long this is and is there an interval? Ta

#20 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Hi Pluto,

It started at 7.30 pm and we were out a little bit before 10 pm (I reckon about 9.55.)  There is an interval and the second half seems to go at about twice the lick of the first half.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users