6 replies to this topic

#1 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:31 AM

I know he isnt a performer but I just wanted to say how sad I was to hear about his death. Im not that 'up' on theatre critics and he was pretty much the only one I knew, and I nearly always agreed with his views. Also whenever he is interviewed on tv etc he comes accross as a truely nice man with a passion for theatre, and openminded to new ideas.

I for one will miss him.

#2 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:27 PM

I did meet him once, and he really did seem a very likeable man. For a long time he had his own entertaining and informative series on the arts on Radio 2. I really missed it when the BBC ended it, and there has never been a programme like it ever since.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

He had a really delicate touch as a writer I always thought. Much better than bum face Toby Young who replaced him on The Spectator.

#4 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

I thought he was very insightful and unlike most critics never became disillusioned ! And he loved Sondheim

#5 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:10 PM

He loved everything! (apart from Adrian Noble) It is a great loss though, as his writing on theatre was always knowledgeable and he came across as genuinely enthusiastic. Even his liner notes for cast albums (especially any Boublil and Schoenberg) made you want to actually see the show!
"Don't you DARE use 'party' as a verb in my shop!"

#6 Guest_Guest_Brian_*_*

Guest_Guest_Brian_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(Peter @ Feb 21 2007, 12:10 PM) View Post
He loved everything! (apart from Adrian Noble) It is a great loss though, as his writing on theatre was always knowledgeable and he came across as genuinely enthusiastic. Even his liner notes for cast albums (especially any Boublil and Schoenberg) made you want to actually see the show!

I particularly appreciated and enjoyed his Friday night programme. It was and is not the same since he finished.

#7 Guest_Stage fan_*

Guest_Stage fan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Brian_* @ Feb 22 2007, 10:33 AM) View Post
I particularly appreciated and enjoyed his Friday night programme. It was and is not the same since he finished.

I guess it's a case of Sheridan 'No' Morley now... RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users