• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 WOS Manchester

WOS Manchester

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Theatre reviewer for whatsonstage.com and editor of WOS Northwest, and music reviewer for the Manchester Evening News By day - a lecturer of Film and Media. Fan of Arthur Miller, Willy Russell, Tennesse Williams and the director Sarah Frankcom at the Royal Exchange.

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:09 AM

The Manchester Blog is receiving lots of visitors. Thanks to those of you who have been reading and for your comments. There is a new entry about the superb Angels In America, currently showing at the Lowry in Salford. A full review of the production will appear on the main site later today. Also there is exciting news re the WOS Manchester micro-site which will replace the current blog very soon.

For more details click here.

Thanks, Glenn
WOS Manchester
rolleyes.gif
Glenn Meads
Whatsonstage.com Manchester
http://www.whatsonstage.com/manchester

#2 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(WoS Manchester @ Jun 8 2007, 07:09 AM) View Post
The Manchester Blog is receiving lots of visitors. Thanks to those of you who have been reading and for your comments. There is a new entry about the superb Angels In America, currently showing at the Lowry in Salford. A full review of the production will appear on the main site later today. Also there is exciting news re the WOS Manchester micro-site which will replace the current blog very soon.

For more details click here.

Thanks, Glenn
WOS Manchester
rolleyes.gif

Ha ! Were you there too yesterday? Rather meagre audience for the afternoon  unsure.gif  

Agree this was an excellent production, good design (and use of flourescent colours), well directed (great attention to detail), superb script (I was afraid it might have aged badly - it hasn't!) and the finest ensemble playing I have seen this year. It would be invidious to pick out anyone first so the entire cast were:- Obi Abili, Kirsty Bushell, Mark Emerson, Greg Hicks, Adam Levy, Ann Mitchell, Golda Rosheuvel, and Jo Stone-Fewings.

My only minor crib was that the appearance of the angel at the end lacked the dramatic staging that the Nationals had 12 years ago - but the resources available to each were probably widely different and the current production has spent its budget wisely.

Highly recommended, with the proviso that it is over 7 hours long and contains some strong language and imagery.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:55 AM

This is coming to the Lyric Hammersmith in June - I've just booked for it, on the recommendation of a friend who saw it in Glasgow.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

[duplicate post]

#5 WOS Manchester

WOS Manchester

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Theatre reviewer for whatsonstage.com and editor of WOS Northwest, and music reviewer for the Manchester Evening News By day - a lecturer of Film and Media. Fan of Arthur Miller, Willy Russell, Tennesse Williams and the director Sarah Frankcom at the Royal Exchange.

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

Hi Ian

I went to see Angels on Tues and Wed night. By Wed, I actually felt like I could watch a part three! Glad that you enjoyed it. It is worth catching tomorrow as you can watch both parts in one day.

Thanks, Glenn
Glenn Meads
Whatsonstage.com Manchester
http://www.whatsonstage.com/manchester

#6 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

The Lyric has double bills on both Saturdays and Sundays which must be tiring but is excellent news for everyone else. I'm really looking forward to it.

#7 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Jun 8 2007, 06:02 PM) View Post
The Lyric has double bills on both Saturdays and Sundays which must be tiring but is excellent news for everyone else. I'm really looking forward to it.

Yay, I just booked tickets for both parts on the last day in July, at the Lyric!
Very excited to see it after reading all the reviews. smile.gif

Anyone have any comments on seats at the Lyric Hammersmith? I've never been there before and I think they put us at the back of the dress circle as we got student tix and didn't really have any choice as to where we were put...
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#8 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Jun 8 2007, 08:08 PM) View Post
Yay, I just booked tickets for both parts on the last day in July, at the Lyric!
Very excited to see it after reading all the reviews. smile.gif

Anyone have any comments on seats at the Lyric Hammersmith? I've never been there before and I think they put us at the back of the dress circle as we got student tix and didn't really have any choice as to where we were put...

The Lyric is a lovely theatre and all seats have a good view.

Hope you enjoy the show as much as I did. I thought it was excellent!
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#9 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

Saw part 1 on Saturday and was crashingly disappointed by it. All the zip and verve I recall from the NT production was missing, the soul singing was jarring, and overall I just didn't engage with it. Between the original UK production and now, I sometimes wondered if/when it'd be revived and how it would play, and whether it was so of its time that it wouldn't stand up; I'm now wondering if the latter is the case.

Another disappointment was Greg Hicks, someone whose performances I've usually enjoyed and I was really looking forward to seeing him as Roy Cohn. But, for me, it just didn't work. His normally clear diction seemed muffled and blurred by the accent, his gestures and other physical business far too mannered.

Right now, I'm just not sure I want to even see part 2, especially as I've always thought part 1 was the stronger piece anyway. However, so far I've only heard good things about this production so I suspect I'm in a minority on this one.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#10 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

It had very mixed reviews. Personally I thought there was a good 2 hour Pain and the Itch style character piee trying to break of 7 hours of pretentious nonsense  and the audience seemed devided between people looking at their watches every 5 minutes and those giving a standing ovation. So you're not alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users