- - - - -

Jenufa and the Oliviers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_richard_*

Guest_richard_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

ohmy.gif I found it quite unbelievable that the ENO's production of Jenufa won the Olivier for Best Opera Production.  Chacun son gout and all that but I thought it the most modish, superficial, self-regarding, badly conceived, ill judged and boring production for many a long year.  IMHO there was not a single redeeming feature and I have seldom experienced - at a sparsely attended Coliseum - such audience hostility in the intervals. It was even worse than the dismal Covent Garden Ring cycle. I heard from a friend that one person in the train back to Guildford was still fulminating about the production as the traind pulled into the station!  What do others think?

#2 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

i loved it. i thought it was the best jeunfa i had seen staging wise and the singing and playing playing were not to far behind the excellent productions i have also seen.

this production put a light on the mother that i have never seen but always thought about.

as janacek productions go i thought the mack case aslo at eno was generally stronger but im still delighted this one has got the praise it deserves

also all my friends loved it too

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#3 Guest_sue_*

Guest_sue_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:02 PM

I think that staging a rich, challenging and intense work such as Jenufa must be fraught with difficulty. It is an immensely difficult undertaking. I consider I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to see this wonderful opera. I am sad that there are so many detractors on this board (in general). Singers, directors, musicians and technical staff work very hard to entertain and challenge us. I often think that we, as audiences, are the ones who fail to appreciate the great riches presented to us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users