32 replies to this topic

#11 Star

Star

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

Congrats to 'the priory' just heard it won a award smile.gif Anyone watching online know if Rupert penry jones+Rachel Stirling are there?

#12 Widow Twanky

Widow Twanky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

Have spent the last four hours trying to watch the awards on line, (the streaming was appalling), and if as Nica Burns stated in her openig speech half a billion pounds was spent on theatre tickets in the West End last year, why oh why aren't the awards televised? It could have been shown on BBC4 and would probably gain a lot more viewers than whatever was shown this evening.

One of the BBC's flagship programmes searches for new West End stars and gains millions of viewers each week, awakening fresh new intersest in the industry, however they won't spend on one annual outside broadcast. Such a shame:(

#13 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

People on Orange Broadband had a lot of problems with the feed.

I really enjoyed it, the performances were excellent. I love Dame Maggie Smith, what an absolute legend. Yep I feel the whole watching online trial was a success

EDIT
QUOTE(Widow Twanky @ Mar 21 2010, 10:53 PM) View Post
Nica Burns stated in her openig speech half a billion pounds was spent on theatre tickets in the West End last year, why oh why aren't the awards televised? It could have been shown on BBC4 and would probably gain a lot more viewers than whatever was shown this evening.

Because if we spend money on that, it leaves less money to feed back into theatres, new shows, new writers. I for one enjoyed a perfect quality stream, but I know there were some issues for people on Orange as I said before, but for a first attempt, I thought it worked well.

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#14 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

Missed quite a bit thanks to AOL Broadband. At least I saw the Les Mis OK at end though.

#15 Widow Twanky

Widow Twanky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:22 PM

EDIT
Because if we spend money on that, it leaves less money to feed back into theatres, new shows, new writers. I for one enjoyed a perfect quality stream, but I know there were some issues for people on Orange as I said before, but for a first attempt, I thought it worked well.
[/quote]

Hello, surely the theatre industry wouldn't be paying for the screening, the BBC would.

Some of my favourite TV moments ever were the looks on Jonathan Pryce's face when Martine won The Olivier for My Fair Lady, and Boy George's when Our House won instead of Taboo.

PS not sure if the "quote" bit worked

#16 Anon E Miss

Anon E Miss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:46 AM

Much as I love Eddie Redmayne, I think the BBC has overstated his versatility:
Best actress in a supporting role - Eddie Redmayne (Red)  blink.gif

(http://news.bbc.co.u...ure/8578016.stm)

#17 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:55 AM

Baha, oh the BBC and their inability to get things right

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#18 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:22 AM

I'm so Chuffed for the 2 Welsh lads!

Best Supporting Performance Iwan Rheon, &  Best Actor Aneurin Barnard.

I wish them both well for the future.

I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting Iwan in person.

Aneurin, though, trained here in Cardiff, at The Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama (RWCMD),
where I try to see all the theatre productions -
& when I chatted with him after shows, he seemed a really nice young man.

#19 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:09 AM

Seems almost perverse not to choose Jerusalem as best play especially as it might be revived, even come back with Mark Rylance and the award would generate business. But the Olivier voting process leaves much to be desired. I didn't see the winner - who did?

To be frank I can't get worked up this year because the awards are so 'late' and out of season, the excitement has gone. I don't understand why they can't get 'em out just after Xmas the latest. In fact before Xmas wouldn't miss anything important off the list and could be incorporated into the following year.

Interesting that the Priscilla Ad on the telly uses the WOS best musical accolade. WOS possibly more meaningful to the punters and also more timely - if you get a WOS award, you can use it in your ads and PR for the Spring push.

#20 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

I'm THRILLED for Spring Awakening!!! Aneurin, Iwan and the rest of the company & crew. Amazing! biggrin.gif

Pretty happy with the winners I'd say, but I still think Hannah Waddingham deserved best actress. *sigh* sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users