#21 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

I saw the winner. I thought it was very good, although I NEVER would have expected it to win. EVER.

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#22 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(VelmaMaureen @ Mar 21 2010, 06:49 PM) View Post
I'm watching them online, and it's so annoying because the video keeps juddering and stopping, then starting again. The first woman speaker was really annoying too. Anyone else having this problem?

Yes, it was so bad I had to give up. Shame, I was looking forward to watching. Does anyone know if its going to be available as video afterwards?

QUOTE(Allie @ Mar 21 2010, 10:55 PM) View Post
People on Orange Broadband had a lot of problems with the feed.

I really enjoyed it, the performances were excellent. I love Dame Maggie Smith, what an absolute legend. Yep I feel the whole watching online trial was a success

EDIT

Because if we spend money on that, it leaves less money to feed back into theatres, new shows, new writers. I for one enjoyed a perfect quality stream, but I know there were some issues for people on Orange as I said before, but for a first attempt, I thought it worked well.

That explains it then, I'm on Orange. Shame. Whether it worked well or not depends on your provider!

I was delighted that Hello Dolly! did so well. Loved that show but didn't think it was as widely appreciated. Well done.

#23 Allie

Allie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hannah's performance was amazing, she deserved best actress in my opinion.

Pity the child with no such weapons
No defence, no escape from the ties that bind

Love Allie x

#24 smithers

smithers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, music, politics

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

I'm so happy that Mountaintop won best new play - definitely the best thing I've seen for ages.

#25 angelfan

angelfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

I'm on 3 mobile Broadband and every time the nominations were announced the picture froze and I had to refresh.  I gave up after they stopped the show for dinner (couldnn't they have eaten before the show?).  It was great that Spring Awakening did so well despite the majority being deprived of getting to see it.
Give Yourself Over To Absolute Pleasure

#26 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

1)  The web streaming worked really well for me and I hooked my laptop up to the TV so the whole family watched on the large screen; I don't think there was a single blip in the footage.

2)  Really enjoyed watching the event and some great interlude pieces.

3)  Pleased for Rachel Weisz and Ruth Wilson; they really deserved the awards.

4)  Great to see 'Hello, Dolly!' being recognised and their number reminded me how much I enjoyed it last summer.  It just makes you smile instantly!

5)  Haven't seen 'Jerusalem' yet but was shocked by 'The Mountaintop' winning.  I enjoyed it and the acting was superb, but without that acting, I couldn't rave about the play.  It was good, but that good?  After all the 5-star raves, I was sure 'Jerusalem' would win!

6)  I want to see Maggie Smith on stage again.  I hope she feels up to it some time.

#27 almera222

almera222

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(angelfan @ Mar 22 2010, 06:27 PM) View Post
I'm on 3 mobile Broadband and every time the nominations were announced the picture froze and I had to refresh. I gave up after they stopped the show for dinner (couldnn't they have eaten before the show?). It was great that Spring Awakening did so well despite the majority being deprived of getting to see it.

I can understand why the musical Spring Awakening flopped!  I have never heard such boring songs in my life!  I nearly went to sleep!

The highlight was Les Miserables - such wonderful singers!

#28 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

Stupidly watched it all - over 4 hours!! Truly awful! No wonder they dont televise it now!

Dreadful live feed which kept juddering.

They are theatre awards so why not hold the ceremony in a theatre and then at least the perfomers would have a decent stage to work on rather than the cramped platform they had. As a result the musical stagings were terrible and the sound worse!

Anthony Head - poor MC loads of fluffs.

Dinner in the middle - ridiculous! The recipients of the awards took ages to get around the tables to the stage. Couldn't the nominees be seated near the front?

The music was repetitive - If I heard " You're the Top" once I heard it umpteen times and then it fizzled out badly as the winner was about to speak.

What a shambles! Whoever, "directed" the proceedings certainly wont be nominated for Best Director anytime soon.

As for the winners - well you had more chance in a lucky dip! Jerusalem not winning Best Play? Ridiculous!!!  I wont go on.......

Who was responsible - we will never know!

#29 almera222

almera222

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(wickedgrin @ Mar 23 2010, 12:57 PM) View Post
Stupidly watched it all - over 4 hours!! Truly awful! No wonder they dont televise it now!

Dreadful live feed which kept juddering.

They are theatre awards so why not hold the ceremony in a theatre and then at least the perfomers would have a decent stage to work on rather than the cramped platform they had. As a result the musical stagings were terrible and the sound worse!

Anthony Head - poor MC loads of fluffs.

Dinner in the middle - ridiculous! The recipients of the awards took ages to get around the tables to the stage. Couldn't the nominees be seated near the front?

The music was repetitive - If I heard " You're the Top" once I heard it umpteen times and then it fizzled out badly as the winner was about to speak.

What a shambles! Whoever, "directed" the proceedings certainly wont be nominated for Best Director anytime soon.

As for the winners - well you had more chance in a lucky dip! Jerusalem not winning Best Play? Ridiculous!!! I wont go on.......

Who was responsible - we will never know!

#30 almera222

almera222

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

I agree with every word you say.  The whole programme was a waste of time and, as you say, break for an hour in the middle for dinner!  I have never heard anything like it!  I was one of the unfortunate ones who watched it all the way through, only because I wanted to see Les Miserables and then that didn't appear on my lap-top!

I think Anthony Head and a few who presented the awards had had a drink too many!

Also, why, when some make acceptance speeches, do they bring the rest of the world and his wife into it?  All that is necessary is thank you very much and then GO!  Some of the speeches near the end just dragged on and on which is why radio 2 couldn't cover the whole show!

i am sure some in the audience were bored to tears and some of the songs were so boring.  Couldn't Melanie C have something a bit more lively ?  I have never seen Blood Brothers so I am notfamiliar with the songs.  As I mentioned in a previous post the songs from Spring Awakening were also dire.  I am not surprised the show failed!

Just as well it wasn't on the TV as the majority of viewers would have switched off!

P.S.  Correction:  Couldn't Melenie C have SUNG something a bit more lively?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users