hannah waddingham

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mary_*

Guest_mary_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

just read today's evening standard and i think hannah waddingham has behaved disgracfullly. she should have just kept her mouth shut and left with her head held high. the awards for sitpwg were rightfully won as it was a beautiful prouction, unlike the hideous cheap nonsence that is spamalot. ms waddingham you have done yourself no favours.

#2 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:54 PM

Link for those of us outside London:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/theatre/arti...snub/article.do
"Don't you DARE use 'party' as a verb in my shop!"

#3 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(mary @ Feb 19 2007, 12:49 PM) View Post
just read today's evening standard and i think hannah waddingham has behaved disgracfullly. she should have just kept her mouth shut and left with her head held high. the awards for sitpwg were rightfully won as it was a beautiful prouction, unlike the hideous cheap nonsence that is spamalot. ms waddingham you have done yourself no favours.

The article seems to be misleading. The headline implies an official attack on the Olivier Awards by the (entire) cast of Spamalot but in fact in the article it appears as though HW is speaking for herself alone and is representing neither the cast nor the producers of Spamalot.

#4 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(Peter @ Feb 19 2007, 12:54 PM) View Post

Sour grapes big time!  Im so glad Spamalot didnt win, she certainly didnt deserve best actress, and the show didnt deserve best musical at all.

However I do think its a shame so many awards went to shows that have closed!

#5 JIJane

JIJane

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

Spamalot and Sunday are extremely different shows and impossible to compare. As usual, it's "critics" versus "audience" shows. Spamalot is the show popular with the audiences (sold out all the time) while Sunday was losing money after only a couple of months and has a very short run, making it something the critis admire but an audience cannot always relate to (sadly). There have always been "critic favourites" and "audience favourites" - and there probably always will be. I think it is not right to say that one is better than the other, they are extremely different and Spamalot has created some amazing performances that deserve to be noticed. I can see why Sunday won best musical (although I thought the second act was very weak and not needed, Spamalot had a much better book in that respect), although I would have to say that Tom Goodman-Hill deserved best supporting actor more than Sheila Hancock and didn't think Jenna should have won best actress. Just my opinion. I doubt Waddingham is begruding Jenna Russell her award as they are actually very close friends, hence I don't think her remarks were made out of jealousy. It is normal for performers to believe their show should win, Waddinham just actually said it. Most people just bitch about it quietly in backstage whispers.

#6 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:25 PM

"I really do begrudge the fact we didn't win best new musical.
I'm totally pissed off we didn't win that. I'm actually angry. "

I can't believe she said that. How unbelievably childish.

If she'd seen Caroline, or Change I'm sure she'd realise it was a far better show than the entertaining yet puerile one she is in...
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#7 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(JIJane @ Feb 19 2007, 01:05 PM) View Post
Spamalot and Sunday are extremely different shows and impossible to compare. As usual, it's "critics" versus "audience" shows.

Which is why I suppose it's a good thing that the 'Audience Choice' awards like Whatsonstage exist as well as the more 'highbrow' ones, to even out the score. Though of course, Spamalot didn't win that one either...

I had a great time at Spamalot and much of that was due to Hannah Waddingham's superb turn, but competition was stiff this year. C'est la vie...
"Don't you DARE use 'party' as a verb in my shop!"

#8 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Feb 19 2007, 01:25 PM) View Post
"I really do begrudge the fact we didn't win best new musical.
I'm totally pissed off we didn't win that. I'm actually angry. "

I can't believe she said that. How unbelievably childish.

I've only been to one theatre awards ceremony and it was in a theatre, not at a dinner, but I've heard stories and can imagine the situation when all the key players from a particular show are sitting on the same table, drinking and otherwise cranking themselves up for The Moment and when the "wrong" result is announced everyone at the table feeling terribly let-down and hurt. In that context I think HW's comments are understandable if, as you say, childish.

I quite like the idea that awards such as the Oliviers are a counter to the financial success and kudos that a commercially successful show gets by definition. Walking past a queue for returns at a theatre such as the Palace, or the Palladium every night on the way to the Stage Door must beat an Olivier award for best lighting.

#9 In the Know

In the Know

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, television, films, reading. travelling, politics and football

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(Peter @ Feb 19 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post
Which is why I suppose it's a good thing that the 'Audience Choice' awards like Whatsonstage exist as well as the more 'highbrow' ones, to even out the score. Though of course, Spamalot didn't win that one either...

Firstly, I hate to say it but Whats on Stage are not the "People's Awards" its a small percentage of people who go on this board. It would be interesting to see how many people actually voted.

I would suggest less than visited Caroline or Change in it whole run.

I do agree its a very bad way to behave ! I think she needs a talking down, she was good and I loed her performance but have seen better.

Miss W , must try harder 3/10

#10 Guest_al_*

Guest_al_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:58 PM

I think she has made an absolute fool of herself, I love Spamalot but it didn't win, get over it!
I actually think (my thoughts only you folks!) Elena Roger was robbed of the 'best actress in a musical award' but never mind, it happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users